posted to rec.boats.building

Default Boat Engines

I understood continuous duty to mean not only an ability of the engine to
run reliably for extended periods at full load but also that all the
metalwork, fittings etc are of a superior standard. Hence the cost.

I may be wrong here but I seem to recall that running engines off load or on
reduced loads for extended periods is not good for them. Leads to glazed
barrels or something like that???.

Referring to air cooled, I rather like the smell of engine rooms but I can
see on a boat you would have to build in a heat exchanger to isolate the
cabin from the "raw" heated air, I just think that a heat exchanger for air
is easier to build that one for a sea/fresh water combination. Also no holes
in the hull. However on the down side, don't water cooled engines run
quieter than air cooled. So many points to consider!.

Having said all of the above however I believe that the engineering required
is beyond me and by the time I gather the experience and tools to do the
work too much time will have gone by!. I will just have to save a bit harder
and buy a marine engine.

Steve

posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

I was going to suggest talk to Polar Engineering, but they have closed
and Bowman have taken on their product range.
http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/news/News_polar.htm

From my research when I was looking for a marine engine, the only

difference between continuous and intermittent rating is the power
allowed and duration. I bought a Daewoo L136 from Watermota UK - 160Hp
at 2200 rpm continuous rating. Excellent engine, very reliable, frugal
and well priced and this particular engine is used when re-engining
trawlers whose Gardners are beyond economic rebuild or repair. Daewoo
do a 70 Hp engine - http://www.watermota.co.uk/daewool034.html

Give Mike Beacham a call - you might be surprised!!

Colin Stone

posted to rec.boats.building

max camirand wrote:
If air cooling didn't work out, you could remove the radiator and
instead pump the coolant through a coil of copper pipe running through
a sea chest (small seawater-flooded compartment built inside on the
inside surface of the hull). Kind of like a keel cooler, but inside.
The advantage over cooling with raw seawater is that you don't get
corrosion inside your engine, both from the seawater and from the
galvanic action it creates between the dissimilar metals in the engine.
Of course, it's slightly more complicated.

Why bother with all that complication. Just go on E-Bay and search for
"Heat Exchanger" and you will find a plethora of all sizes and shapes.
Then add a raw water pump on a bracket, some plumbing and replace the
radiator with the heat exchanger.

posted to rec.boats.building

max camirand wrote:
snip

To get around the gearbox problem, why not couple the engine to a
hydraulic pump and use a hydraulic motor with a thrust bearing to drive
the prop shaft? With a short run of hose, I don't know if the energy
lost would be great. You could use your main engine to power a bow
thruster that way, too.

Just a thought.

-Max Camirand

Sounds like a good plan, but I think the cost will bite you. You will
need to engineer the pump, motor and prop combination. You might best
fund a college research program, or ask around the fishing docks.

Oh yeah, all that pumpery will be heavy.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats.building

Have a look at www.abato.nl,
a Dutch company that imports Chinese made Deutz 226B marine diesel engines.
Weichai Deutz Engineering co, joint venture.
Deutz moved the production line of the 226B diesels to China, a few years
back.
Quality control is still executed by German engineers, in the Weichai plant
in China, so they say.
Text on this website is in Dutch, but you can find some interesting links.
75 hp model costs 4300 euro, excl. VAT.(without gearbox).
Pricing is more than OK, I think, but about reliability I haven't heard
anything yet, it's too soon for that.
If I ever need a diesel, I think I'll go for it.
Beats a truck engine marinised by an amateur!

Bye,

Luk
"Steve Morrisby" schreef in bericht
Hi there

I have been looking at the UK market for a 75HP marine inboard engine.

Those
that look good are products from Volvo, Betamarine and Lombardini, but

what
a price!. I struggle with the fact that my new car cost less than one of
these and that got me to thinking if I could do it myself.

What are the pitfalls in "marineising" a good used truck engine, are
aftermarket kits sold and what about marrying the gearbox to the engine

bell
housing.

I seem to recall reading a thread on this subject some years back, but at
the time I was not too interested. Now of course I cannot find threads

going
that far back.

TIA

Steve

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:26:21 +0100 Heidi&Luc
) wrote:
Have a look at www.abato.nl,
a Dutch company that imports Chinese made Deutz 226B marine diesel engines.
Weichai Deutz Engineering co, joint venture.
Deutz moved the production line of the 226B diesels to China, a few years
back.
Quality control is still executed by German engineers, in the Weichai plant
in China, so they say.
Text on this website is in Dutch, but you can find some interesting links.
75 hp model costs 4300 euro, excl. VAT.(without gearbox).
Pricing is more than OK, I think, but about reliability I haven't heard
anything yet, it's too soon for that.
If I ever need a diesel, I think I'll go for it.
Beats a truck engine marinised by an amateur!

There are english datasheets available.

Before 1985 it was a MWM engine, Deutz bought MWM in 1985:
http://www.deutz.nl/historie/1980-2000.htm and Fendt also used these
engine types - D2xx range:
http://www.fendt-freunde.de/datenbank/fs_dat1.htm

Compare these pictures:
http://www.abato.nl/motoren/images/w...z/_BHF0191.jpg
and http://www/cgi-bin/foto/436/50.jpg
I dont't have a picture from exact the same angle, more pictures at
http://www/cgi-bin/cath_pub?5

--
Richard
e-mail: vervang/replace invalid door/with NL.net
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks to everyone for those links to other suppliers and for your
comments. They were all well noted!.

Yesterday I talked to my car mechanic about continuous duty engines. He said
they did not really exist but likened it to aero engines which are required
to run for long periods at a time without missing a beat.

"Yes" he said "they are built to exacting specifications and components are
replaced after a recorded period long before they fail."
"What about old VW and Subaru engines which are used in home builds" I asked
"They are usually rebuilt or modified by dedicated and highly competent
amateurs and maintained to a very high standard" the mechanic replied.

So. A continuous duty engine is one that is well built (ie almost any new
engine) and maintained to a high standard (hey I do that to my car already).

It's all in the maintenance!.

Steve

posted to rec.boats.building

"It's all in maintenance". We may differ slightly on that position. You
will find that an engine built for auto use has a much different camshaft
than does one built for marine use. It is understandable if you visualize
the difference in acceleration in each application. Automotive cams do not
provide good marine performance. I have proven that several times with Chev
350's auto engines placed directly into marine applications (I/O).

Don Dando

"Steve Morrisby" wrote in message
[...]

"Contiuous Duty" Sure they exist. Go check out John Deere's line of
marine diesels. They have them available in various duty ratings,
including continuous. And you bet it's all in the maintenance... give
them clean fuel and air, and keep the oil clean and they'll run damm
near forever.

posted to rec.boats.building

Ah aren't good news groups great!. I have learnt more on this subject over
the past weeks than I ever would have at a trade show or from a series of
manufacturers sales brochures (and they are very good sources of
information)

I kinna guessed there was a little more to the subject of marine engines,
but not how much. There is now no doubt in my mind that to do anything but
buy one from a reputable source would be a big mistake.

Again thanks for all your input

Steve