posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
DSK DSK is offline

Default Gunwhale padding?

OK, I need something and can't find it (google can't
either). There is a gunwhale guard or rubrail that is a 'P'
section of closed-cell foam covered in white canvas.

I want this stuff because it fits the gun'l naturally, it's
light, and it's great padding. I hate to scuff & scratch our
boat (or anybody else's) bringing a dinghy alongside.

I know this stuff exists because I've seen it on chandlery
shelves. But where the heck can I order it? Somebody please
help!

Thanks
Doug King

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
ACP ACP is offline

.. .

?

http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/0270.h...FT9nOAodLDQPzg

ACP wrote:
http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/0270.h...FT9nOAodLDQPzg

I hunted thru the Hamilton Marine web site (among many
others) and couldn't fin this.

Thanks

DSK

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

The stuff you are looking for is actually 3/4 of a circle with tabs of
fabric. It therefore is not a P section but more like an Omega. I have
always folded the top tab under so that it looks like a P section on the
boat. The row of screws on the top of the gunwale is covered by the folded
tab. I hope this is clear.
Dave
"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
OK, I need something and can't find it (google can't either). There is a
gunwhale guard or rubrail that is a 'P' section of closed-cell foam
covered in white canvas.

I want this stuff because it fits the gun'l naturally, it's light, and
it's great padding. I hate to scuff & scratch our boat (or anybody else's)
bringing a dinghy alongside.

I know this stuff exists because I've seen it on chandlery shelves. But
where the heck can I order it? Somebody please help!

Thanks
Doug King

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Doug,
I've used both styles of this stuff.

The stuff on the left side of the page is less garish in color, firm and
heavy.
The stuff on the right is a bright white, a good bit lighter, and its
ethafoam core is not bonded to the hose, so it can get misaligned.

The most reliable way i've found to attach it is with oval head self-tap
screws and finish washers

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .

Jim Conlin wrote:

Doug,
I've used both styles of this stuff.

The stuff on the left side of the page is less garish in color, firm and
heavy.
The stuff on the right is a bright white, a good bit lighter, and its
ethafoam core is not bonded to the hose, so it can get misaligned.

The most reliable way i've found to attach it is with oval head self-tap
screws and finish washers

Thanks Jim- it's very encouraging that I'm getting close to
putting on the gun'ls, after so much time has gone by with
very slow progress. The boat is coming out heavier than I'd
like, but it's still far lighter than anything else would
be, and it's STRONG. When you see two ~200lb men jumping up
and down on the center thwart, with the boat resting on a
simple cradle (6' between the hull supports), you begin to
think "here's a boat that will probably not experience
structural failure during normal use."

DSK

Gunwhale padding? DSK General 34 November 13th 06 02:10 AM
Glue For Padding Out A Cockpit? (PeteCresswell) General 4 June 12th 06 03:00 AM
Cockpit Padding - Just For Water Displacement: Options? (PeteCresswell) General 0 May 17th 06 02:21 AM
"Day Cruiser Storage Solution" Kirk General 6 February 22nd 06 06:20 PM