posted to rec.boats.paddle
(PeteCresswell)

Default Glue For Padding Out A Cockpit?

Fiberglass cockpit, gray mini cell foam.

I've been using WeldWood waterproof contact cement.

But it's kind of unforgiving at placement time, and seems tb coming loose under
use.

Anybody got a better choice?
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Fiberglass cockpit, gray mini cell foam.
I've been using WeldWood waterproof contact cement.
But it's kind of unforgiving at placement time, and seems tb coming loose under
use.

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I've always used Weldwood Red Can
(or the little brown bottles /w/ the brush on the cap), and I've never
had it come apart under use. And what do you mean "unforgiving at
placement time"? It's contact cement, and adhere's extremely well at
placement time, just like contact cement should, at least in my
experience! (I always apply pressure after placement too, to make sure
it's a good bond!)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Grip wrote:
I've always used DAP contact cement....the RED can not the green.

DAP is Weldwood. DAP is the manufacturer, Weldwood is the name of the
product. The red/black cans are solvent based products, of which my
favorite is the gel variety. The white/green can is a water-based
product that's useless in a kayak.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Fiberglass cockpit, gray mini cell foam.

I've been using WeldWood waterproof contact cement.

But it's kind of unforgiving at placement time,

That's the nature of contact cement. It bonds the two pieces coated with
cement instantly on contact, hence the name.

and seems tb coming loose under use.

If that's the case, you're doing something wrong. Make sure you're
following the instructions on the can. While one coat of cement is
adequate on the fiberglass, you need two coats on the foam to get a good
bond. It's also important that the surfaces are clean. In the boat, wash
the area with water first to remove any salt or other water-soluble
contaminants, then wipe it down with a good solvent (I prefer lacquer
thinner) to remove any grease or oil. Do the same with the foam if the
surface isn't clean.

I prefer to use Weldwood Gel contact cement, as it stays in place better
than the liquid. However, both bond equally well, so use whatever you have.

If you need to be able to maneuver the parts into position, you can bond
them with Lexel or any of the GOOP products (they're all the same thing
with different labels). They're not contact cements; you just coat the
surface(s) and stick them together immediately.