posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
DSK DSK is offline

Default Gunwhale padding?

Jim Conlin wrote:

Doug,
I've used both styles of this stuff.

The stuff on the left side of the page is less garish in color, firm and
heavy.
The stuff on the right is a bright white, a good bit lighter, and its
ethafoam core is not bonded to the hose, so it can get misaligned.

The most reliable way i've found to attach it is with oval head self-tap
screws and finish washers

Thanks Jim- it's very encouraging that I'm getting close to
putting on the gun'ls, after so much time has gone by with
very slow progress. The boat is coming out heavier than I'd
like, but it's still far lighter than anything else would
be, and it's STRONG. When you see two ~200lb men jumping up
and down on the center thwart, with the boat resting on a
simple cradle (6' between the hull supports), you begin to
think "here's a boat that will probably not experience
structural failure during normal use."

DSK