posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

Default Fuel tank baffle question

den wrote:
Jim and Becky wrote:
Last question and I'll leave you alone:
Where do I find sheets of neoprene as I was thinking of using engine
manifold gasket material.

Hey No problem..

Here was my source for 1/8 inch thick.
Shamrock Supply Co. LA 1 800 624 3814 Orange 1 800 341 5563
www.shamrocksupply.com The website is not too useful as an ordering
site.
Den

posted to rec.boats.building

Try http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm and search for "raw materials,
rubber materials, sheet materials, neoprene" and pick a thickness and size

These guys aren't the cheapest, but they want to be your toolroom so they're
used to small quantities and deliver instantly, at least here in Southern
Indiana.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
Last question and I'll leave you alone:
Where do I find sheets of neoprene as I was thinking of using engine
manifold gasket material.

I cut 8" square access ports to be sealed with 12" sheets of
Neoprene,
formagasket, aluminum sheets, and 8x32 screws.

Step1: Drill bolt holes in the 1ft square aluminum port covers. at
least 4 to a side equally spaced.
Step2: Center the port cover over the cutout, and center punch thru the
bolt holes for the tap drill. Mark a corner for reference, in case the
holes are not uniform.
Step3: Tapdrill, and tap. Note tapping aluminum sucks because it is so
soft the tap plugs up. BACKUP several times, and clean tap.
Step3: Clean all the shavings with a vacuum. (I am assuming you have a
clean dry tank here) Don't want them to look for your filter.
Step4: Lay the port cover over the neoprene, and mark for punching
holes. and punch.
Step5: Spread the formagasket around the port, 2" or more wide.
Step6: Lay neoprene over cutout, spread a 1/4" bead around each bolt
hole, and lay on the port cover.
Step6: Tighten all screws.
OOPS i forgot. The start of this was the fuel guage sender. You get the
idea. I would cut a hole in the port cover for it, and drill and tap
mounting holes. Of course do this before messing with formagasket.
Hope this helps.
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/densnet/
Den 48yf EAGLE

posted to rec.boats.building

I thought I had posted this earlier, but it didn't show up. Here is a
good access plate system that I used on the side of my tank.
http://www.seabuilt.com/
Cut holes in each baffled area, cleaned out, then lined the inside of
the tank with aviation fuel tank sealer. Cures up flexible, will seal
any small leaks, works very well. Just lots of work.