posted to rec.boats.building

Default the raging debate of marine plywood / fiberglassing / etc

kyle wrote:
I know it's a little off from what I had mentioned earlier.. but I was
talking with my brother about my plan.. and he said you really should
put carpet down on a ski boat..

snip

Do as you choose, but IMHO, carpet belongs in houses, not on boats.

Can't think of a single reason to put carpet on a boat, but everybody
has gotta be someplace.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building

kyle wrote:
hi all,

i've been searching through the group .. i keep finding conflicting
opinions.. hoping i can ask my exact question and get an answer

Stitch and glue driftboats are a special case, that make
a good general point, I think.

A driftboat (a dory that drifts down a river) gets its
bottom pounded like no other boat. No matter how
much glass you put over the bottom and chine, cuts
in the glass skin will inevitably expose the plywood.
Then the plywood wicks up moisture, which gets trapped
almost forever, between the glass skins.

Some guys (montana boat builders dot com) have essentially
solved that problem (for stitch and glue boats anyway) by
puting hot spray truck bed liner on the outside.

Another way to deal with it is to use plastic honeycomb core
for the bottom panel, instead of plywood. If you do that, you
need a little extra glass, to stiffen the panel sufficiently.
But when and if the skin gets cut, the moisture does not
wick sideways into the honeycomb.

For me it's all about do-it-yourself boatbuilding, not
necessarily with wood. Plywood makes good side panels
on dories.......a place that doesn't get pounded.
For bottom panels on driftboats, I don't like plywood.

Plascore (or nida core) might be a better core for
any homemade boat.

posted to rec.boats.building

On 15 Oct 2006 08:23:29 -0700, "Leaks"
wrote:

kyle wrote:
[...]

Which reminds me - a Lake patrol man showed me the bottom of his
airboat one day. To allow it to dock right up the ramp onto the hard,
they fitted the bottom with a low friction plate - either high density
polyethylene - or it might even have been teflon.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building

kyle writes:

what i really want to do is have plywood and then a
paint with sand in it to give a grip to the feet when walking.

Don't use sand (silica). It will be coming loose continuously and ruining
all sorts of mechanical things and surfaces due to its hardness.

Use pumice grit. Provides a tread, but doesn't spoil mechanisms if it gets
into a machine.

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Marine Plywood Suppliers in Atlanta Ian Boat Building 1 April 19th 04 08:52 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
watertight coating for marine plywood deck Ken Fraser Boat Building 8 February 10th 04 04:16 PM
Plywood & Fiberglass deck Adam Boat Building 4 September 27th 03 12:13 PM