posted to rec.boats.building

Default Paint question ,, cockpit storage lockers

Sailboat ,, cockpit storage lockers ,, I want to paint them so they will be
cleaner, more presentable and protect the finish.

Problem ,, as far as I can determine, they haven't been painted or
anything in YEARS. They are DIRTY. I tried to
clean them but didn't have much luck. I can wipe them down.

Is there a paint, such as Bilge Coat, that will stick to a not very clean
surface?

What paint? Etc?

"Benning Wentworth" wrote in message

Is there a paint, such as Bilge Coat, that will stick to a not very clean
surface?

What paint? Etc?

I've no idea whether this paint is available outside South Africa, but I've
had remarkable success with Plascon Velvaglo, both inside and outside on my
wooden boat.
http://www.gravitated.co.za/plascon/...px?ProductID=8 It is
described as a non-drip enamel and produces a satin finish (eggshell). I
painted the bilges of my boat (on top of old paint) - they were pretty dirty
and it covered several years worth of dust and grime in one coat. 5 years
later they still seem fine. I also painted the topsides with this stuff and
after 2 years in quite harsh conditions there was hardly any deterioration
at all. l gave it another coat, while the boat was out of the water, just
for good measure, but it didn't really need it. I have no interest in this
company but I guess the message is that a good quality enamel can cover a
lot of dirt. Non drip products are great because you can put them on quite
thick and they don't run.
Good luck.

posted to rec.boats.building

Benning,
It all depends on how much INITIAL time, effort, & money you want to spend.

If you *never* want to worry about it again, 'paint' it with epoxy to which
you have added the color of your choice. {Many compatible pigments & dyes
are available for about $3.oo.} The 'prep' is basically sanding then
cleaning with denatured alcohol. I would apply at least 3 'coats'. If this
is done with no more then a 8 hours between coats {YES - I am being very
conservative}no further prep would be necessary.

For a cheaper and easier method . . . sand, clean and apply a couple of
quick-drying primer coats. I use Zinsser's alcohol-based BIN. {It is ready
to re-coat in 30-minutes, or less} I've found this stiff sticks to ANYTHING
!! {I'm paranoid, so I would then apply a couple of coats of KILZ
Water-Based Exterior Primer. It's a bit thicker and would give a good
'fill'.} Then apply a couple of coats of the 'Topside Enamel' of your
choice. Being an Alkyd or Oil-based product, this will take the most care to
apply and time to dry enough for a re-coat. Then wait at least 5 days for it
to decently 'cure'. This will give you a good, hard, cleanable surface. {If
some of the 'dirt' in your lockers is fungus & mold - you could add some
'fungus proofer' to the paint. This is typically done when you paint a
bathroom.}. The 'however' is that it is not as impervious as the epoxy. If
you just 'dump' an anchor, or other hard object, in the locker the paint
will crack. You simply have to 'inspect & maintain' the surface like any
other part of the boat.

This is 'cheaper and easier' to me because I have the BIN and KILZ on hand.
I use more of it around the home and the shop then on the boats. It's damn
handy stuff. I comes in White but can be tinted.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

The Better Cockpit Capt. Rob ASA 51 August 9th 06 01:37 AM
Dinghy storage question Thomas Wentworth Cruising 4 January 24th 06 04:35 AM
FS: 05 Rinker 410 Express Cruiser in Northern California Matt Toly Marketplace 0 October 19th 05 02:15 AM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
Newbie Question: Inexpensive Boat Storage near Seattle Gould 0738 General 3 August 12th 03 04:28 PM