posted to rec.boats.building

Default mercruiser/bravo 3 overheat alarm?

A friend has asked me to look at a mercruiser 350/bravo3 powered boats.
shortly after coming off the lift the overheat alarm goes off. Boat is
regularly maintained. Last time out with no problems he apparently flushed
it ( fresh water via muffs ) with the leg raised to its top position. I
suspect the impeller? Anyone with specific knowledge of this combination
have any suggestions? Anything else likely to be a problem?

thanks...

Jerry wrote:
A friend has asked me to look at a mercruiser 350/bravo3 powered boats.
shortly after coming off the lift the overheat alarm goes off. Boat is
regularly maintained. Last time out with no problems he apparently flushed
it ( fresh water via muffs ) with the leg raised to its top position. I
suspect the impeller? Anyone with specific knowledge of this combination
have any suggestions? Anything else likely to be a problem?

thanks...

There must also be a temperature gauge to watch? And fwiw, my alarm is
a low oil pressure alarm ... and maybe that's the case with yer buddys
boat? Flushing with the outdrive up would not harm the impeller ... but
it's not so good for the drive. Interestingly, my old mercruiser would
idle in neutral no problems with the drive fully up, but the new VP
does not like it at all so I shut down to drift over the shoals.

posted to rec.boats.building

Running the sterndrive "period" with the leg raised completely can stress
or even damage the unis. Makes no difference if it is in gear or not.

Overheating could likely be related to inpellor in the leg or engine pump or
a stuck thermostat.

I would also check that the leg impellor has not been bypassed by having a
seawater pickup through the bottom of the hull as is the case with my boat

Cheers

"Jerry" wrote in message
A friend has asked me to look at a mercruiser 350/bravo3 powered boats.
shortly after coming off the lift the overheat alarm goes off. Boat is
regularly maintained. Last time out with no problems he apparently flushed
it ( fresh water via muffs ) with the leg raised to its top position. I
suspect the impeller? Anyone with specific knowledge of this combination
have any suggestions? Anything else likely to be a problem?

thanks...

overheating alarm on honda outboard louis General 2 June 24th 06 10:07 AM
350 Alpha/Bravo I MerCruiser Alarm? Larry General 2 June 5th 06 08:18 PM
350 Mercruiser Alarm Larry General 0 May 30th 06 12:38 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Mercruiser V6 Alarm.... Greg General 4 November 10th 03 04:25 AM