posted to rec.boats.building
bowgus bowgus is offline

Default mercruiser/bravo 3 overheat alarm?

Jerry wrote:
A friend has asked me to look at a mercruiser 350/bravo3 powered boats.
shortly after coming off the lift the overheat alarm goes off. Boat is
regularly maintained. Last time out with no problems he apparently flushed
it ( fresh water via muffs ) with the leg raised to its top position. I
suspect the impeller? Anyone with specific knowledge of this combination
have any suggestions? Anything else likely to be a problem?

thanks...

There must also be a temperature gauge to watch? And fwiw, my alarm is
a low oil pressure alarm ... and maybe that's the case with yer buddys
boat? Flushing with the outdrive up would not harm the impeller ... but
it's not so good for the drive. Interestingly, my old mercruiser would
idle in neutral no problems with the drive fully up, but the new VP
does not like it at all so I shut down to drift over the shoals.