posted to rec.boats.building

Default epoxy or varnish

Hi

I have just completed the fiberglass stage of a 14' wood strip skiff*
that I'm building.
My question is is it better to epoxy the other parts of the boat such
as the gunwhales, seats and deck before I give the entire boat the
require varnish coats? Or is varnish only, sufficient for these parts.
Is their any advantage of using epoxy first?

Thanks

Peter

* Rice Lake Skiff Butternut wood strip with Basswood and Copper Accents

posted to rec.boats.building

An epoxy base does make the underlying parts more stable and the varnish
will therefore hold better. It's a bit of a bother on fiddly bits like
gunwales and knees, but probably worth doing. If i have it around, i'll use
WEST 207 hardener for this, but the everyday stuff is OK.

Don't go light on the varnish- 5 coats or more. It's dismaying to see your
epoxy cloud up when the varnish is too thin.

That's a nice design. A good choice.

"Burly Pete" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I have just completed the fiberglass stage of a 14' wood strip skiff*
that I'm building.
My question is is it better to epoxy the other parts of the boat such
as the gunwhales, seats and deck before I give the entire boat the
require varnish coats? Or is varnish only, sufficient for these parts.
Is their any advantage of using epoxy first?

Thanks

Peter

* Rice Lake Skiff Butternut wood strip with Basswood and Copper Accents

What to put on Epoxy for UV protection? [email protected] Cruising 7 August 24th 06 10:00 AM
The Epoxy Test Results Mic Cruising 1 July 6th 05 10:38 PM
Boat repair questions answers found here URL Michael Cruising 0 April 7th 05 06:56 PM
Epoxy okay on mahogany? Jason Boat Building 15 September 8th 04 11:43 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM