BoatBanter.com

-   -   epoxy or varnish (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/74248-epoxy-varnish.html)

Burly Pete September 22nd 06 01:43 PM

epoxy or varnish

Hi

I have just completed the fiberglass stage of a 14' wood strip skiff*
that I'm building.
My question is is it better to epoxy the other parts of the boat such
as the gunwhales, seats and deck before I give the entire boat the
require varnish coats? Or is varnish only, sufficient for these parts.
Is their any advantage of using epoxy first?

Thanks

Peter

* Rice Lake Skiff Butternut wood strip with Basswood and Copper Accents

Jim Conlin September 23rd 06 04:43 AM

epoxy or varnish

An epoxy base does make the underlying parts more stable and the varnish
will therefore hold better. It's a bit of a bother on fiddly bits like
gunwales and knees, but probably worth doing. If i have it around, i'll use
WEST 207 hardener for this, but the everyday stuff is OK.

Don't go light on the varnish- 5 coats or more. It's dismaying to see your
epoxy cloud up when the varnish is too thin.

That's a nice design. A good choice.

ups.com...