posted to rec.boats.building
JP JP is offline

Default Help in learning underwater barnacle removal

my sister and I just got certified in scuba diving and decided that we
wanted to start a small business cleaning barnacles off the bottom of
boats while they are still in the water (we heard it was good money).
Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to locate any instructions on
how to do it underwater. Everything I've come across requires hoisting
the boat out of the water. I know this is a green question but I'm
completely green to the coastal lifestyle. Any help?

JP wrote:
my sister and I just got certified in scuba diving and decided that we
wanted to start a small business cleaning barnacles off the bottom of
boats while they are still in the water (we heard it was good money).
Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to locate any instructions on
how to do it underwater. Everything I've come across requires hoisting
the boat out of the water. I know this is a green question but I'm
completely green to the coastal lifestyle. Any help?

You'll find that scraping/brushing is the best way. You can purchase
suction cup type things that hold to the hull so you can scrape/scrub.

THe problem is that you are essentially weightless in the water, and you
need something to anchor you while working.

You'll also want to see about a hookah style rig rather than tanks.
You'll use a LOT of air doing this work.

You might find out about work safety rules as this may bring you into
the realm of "commercial diving" rather than recreational.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

“All I can say is there had better be some cheese at the end of this maze……”

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

posted to rec.boats.building

IF this isn't just a 'troll', or a joke . . . I think you are setting
yourselves up for SUICIDE !!

If you have BOTH . . . *JUST* got certified . . . *HEARD* it was 'good
money' . . . {and} completely green to the coastal lifestyle {i.e. - never
been near water !!} . . . and have no idea what a 'hoka set-up' is . .
..DON'T even think about this - for now.

Check with YOUR diving school, the Coast Guard, OSHA. Visit some local
Marina's and ask who they recommend to their slip holders. Find out where
they are working, go and watch. If your still interested . . . ask them for
a job. Even if they don't hire and train you, I'm sure they will tell you
why not. Then at least you will then have an idea of what you have to learn.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"JP" wrote in message
oups.com...
my sister and I just got certified in scuba diving and decided that we
wanted to start a small business cleaning barnacles off the bottom of
boats while they are still in the water (we heard it was good money).
Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to locate any instructions on
how to do it underwater. Everything I've come across requires hoisting
the boat out of the water. I know this is a green question but I'm
completely green to the coastal lifestyle. Any help?

posted to rec.boats.building

Suction cups don't work - if they did the bottom wouldn't need
scraping.
The suggestion of using a hookah unit is good - I've spent as long as 5
hours underwater scraping our bottom without surfacing. The freedom of
diving without the tank(s) is also an advantage.

One trick is the kind of scraper you use. It has to be HEAVY. I use a
cold chisel - it has a steel handle about 1" in diameter (hexagon or
octagon?) by 15" long and a blade about 4" wide and 1/4" thick. The
advantage of this scraper is it has its own weight, its own inertia.
If you use a conventional paint scraper you are relying on the mass in
your arm to push the scraper through the barnacles and that continual
shock will make your arm very sore very rapidly. With the heavy cold
chisel it absorbs the shocks as it bumps the barnacles off.

Ann Marie

Andina Marie wrote:
Suction cups don't work - if they did the bottom wouldn't need
scraping.
The suggestion of using a hookah unit is good - I've spent as long as 5
hours underwater scraping our bottom without surfacing. The freedom of
diving without the tank(s) is also an advantage.

One trick is the kind of scraper you use. It has to be HEAVY. I use a
cold chisel - it has a steel handle about 1" in diameter (hexagon or
octagon?) by 15" long and a blade about 4" wide and 1/4" thick. The
advantage of this scraper is it has its own weight, its own inertia.
If you use a conventional paint scraper you are relying on the mass in
your arm to push the scraper through the barnacles and that continual
shock will make your arm very sore very rapidly. With the heavy cold
chisel it absorbs the shocks as it bumps the barnacles off.

Ann Marie

I reccomend an old fashined edging tool. Basically, it has a long
handle like a shovel and a is like a hoe without the bend.
Essentially, its a very large paint scraper. It has enough mass to
work as the above poster describes. You will also need a short handled
scraper like a very heavy duty paint scraper. The problem I have is
that I have dropped my tools into the muck below the boat and lost them
so use a loose lanyard on them.
With the long handled tool, I can anchor in water with some vis and
snorkel around the hull and get all the barnacles off.

Ron Magen wrote:
IF this isn't just a 'troll', or a joke . . . I think you are setting
yourselves up for SUICIDE !!

If you have BOTH . . . *JUST* got certified . . . *HEARD* it was 'good
money' . . . {and} completely green to the coastal lifestyle {i.e. - never
been near water !!} . . . and have no idea what a 'hoka set-up' is . .
.DON'T even think about this - for now.

Check with YOUR diving school, the Coast Guard, OSHA. Visit some local
Marina's and ask who they recommend to their slip holders. Find out where
they are working, go and watch. If your still interested . . . ask them for
a job. Even if they don't hire and train you, I'm sure they will tell you
why not. Then at least you will then have an idea of what you have to learn.

Interesting that you wondered if this was a joke and felt the need to
use capital letters in your reply. Was my inquiry so unusual?
It was someone who does this type of work that encouraged my sister to
look into it and he did offer to train. I just wanted to do a little
research on my own to find out if it is indeed a good way to make a
little money and get some experience in the water. As well as city girl
to explore a different way of life.
Thank you for your input.

posted to rec.boats.building

"JP" wrote in message
oups.com...
my sister and I just got certified in scuba diving and decided that we
wanted to start a small business cleaning barnacles off the bottom of
boats while they are still in the water (we heard it was good money).
Unfortunately I'm finding it difficult to locate any instructions on
how to do it underwater. Everything I've come across requires hoisting
the boat out of the water. I know this is a green question but I'm
completely green to the coastal lifestyle. Any help?

I did this job in the 80's and it can be quite fun. Ron seems to be
overstating the dangers, if you think about your saftey you should be fine.
A hoka is a very good idea, it's a very physical job and you can burn up
tanks in a hurry. Check the conditon of the boat and the harbor water before
quoting a job. Some harbors have some naaaasty water. If you can work for
someone to learn that would help, but start on smaller boats and work your
way up.

Tinker

Barnacle removal from trailor sailor? wblakesx Cruising 1 July 18th 05 02:34 AM
Barnacle removal Sail-n-Dive Cruising 0 February 26th 05 05:26 PM
Barnacle removal Sail-n-Dive General 9 January 27th 05 05:03 AM
A STICKY INSIPID VERSE FOR BINARY BILL THE BARNACLE Flying Tadpole ASA 41 July 5th 04 01:24 PM
Underwater sails? Parallax Boat Building 14 May 7th 04 12:11 PM