posted to rec.boats.building

Default scarf jig

I am building an Arch davis design Penobscot 14 and I am at the point
to scarf plywood for the panels. I am hoping there is a jig design to
cut the scarfs on 1/4" plywood. I have seen jig for circular saws,
but I hoping there is a system to use with a laminate trimmer or a
router for cleaner cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark wrote:
I am building an Arch davis design Penobscot 14 and I am at the point
to scarf plywood for the panels. I am hoping there is a jig design to
cut the scarfs on 1/4" plywood. I have seen jig for circular saws,
but I hoping there is a system to use with a laminate trimmer or a
router for cleaner cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the Gougeon Bros.

They offer an attachment for a circular saw.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building

Our own Glenn Ashmore developed a perfectly elegant scarph jig which used a
router and a long straight bit. I've shamelessly copied it. Glenn- I
recollect that there were photos.

"Mark" wrote in message
I am building an Arch davis design Penobscot 14 and I am at the point
to scarf plywood for the panels. I am hoping there is a jig design to
cut the scarfs on 1/4" plywood. I have seen jig for circular saws,
but I hoping there is a system to use with a laminate trimmer or a
router for cleaner cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted to rec.boats.building

Yeah. The only picture of the router jig is about half way down on the
Cabin Top page http://www.rutuonline.com/html/cabin_top.html . With a 2"
straight bit on a 9:1 slope it will scarf up to quarter inch plywood. Any
thicker than that and I resort to the power plane and belt sander method.
With the thin ply lines of marine okoume and meranti as a guide it is fairly
easy to cut an even scarf by eye on any thickness with 5 or more plys.

The trick is to keep the ply lines straight and not to cut into the edge of
the face veneer or the joint will show to much. and have gaps.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Mark" wrote in message
I am building an Arch davis design Penobscot 14 and I am at the point
to scarf plywood for the panels. I am hoping there is a jig design to
cut the scarfs on 1/4" plywood. I have seen jig for circular saws,
but I hoping there is a system to use with a laminate trimmer or a
router for cleaner cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted to rec.boats.building

Mark,

The concept of the Gougeon 'saw device' and Glenn's router jig are 'really
neat' from an 'engineering solution' point of view. However, unless you have
a trailer load of ply, or an 'in situ' piece, they are also in opposition to
another engineering principle - 'The K.I.S.S. Principle'. Especially of you
are using 1/4in material.

Even a half-dozen sheets are only about the thickness of a standard door.
It's only a few minutes work to mark and lay them down, 'stair-step'
fashion, across a couple of heavy-duty sawhorses {I have a self-made pair
with '2x6' top beams}. You can even adjust to the 'rate of angle' you
prefer - 12-to-1 being preferred for thinner goods. Clamp them together,
with a caul, setting the forward edge flush with the forward edge of the
horse's top beam, and go at it with a plane. A decent, SHARP, Jack of about
9 to 10 inches does nicely. {I have a handy, 'straight-line' belt sander and
just got an electric planer, but so far haven't had to resort to Glenn's
method}. Maybe 15 minutes of comfortable work {ever held a router or
circular saw up at an angel, free-hand . . . even not running ??}gets the
job done. I may even give a few swipes with some course sandpaper on a
block, just to give the mating surfaces some 'bite'.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Mark" wrote in message
I am building an Arch davis design Penobscot 14 and I am at the point
to scarf plywood for the panels. I am hoping there is a jig design to
cut the scarfs on 1/4" plywood. I have seen jig for circular saws,
but I hoping there is a system to use with a laminate trimmer or a
router for cleaner cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:42:06 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

Even a half-dozen sheets are only about the thickness of a standard door.
It's only a few minutes work to mark and lay them down, 'stair-step'
fashion, across a couple of heavy-duty sawhorses {I have a self-made pair
with '2x6' top beams}.

Good technique but you have to be aware of how the face sides will
match up after the scarph when you are stacking the sheets.