Jim Conlin

This has been beaten to death here and elsewhere.
Google this newsgroup for 'scarph' or 'scarphing'.
Also search the boatbuilding section of the WoodenBoat forum HERE
There are many different ways to cut scarphs. For spar scarphs, jigs that create a ramp for a long handplane might be the easiest way.
For spars, you want at least 12:1 taper.

"Bert van den Berg" wrote in message ...
I have seen wood scarfed for wood mast construction where there is a long
joint made by overlapping two pieces of tapered wood. Can anyone tell me
how you physically create the long tapered joint? I have been thinking of
using a thicknesser with multi passes.

Regards,

Bert van den Berg

Steve

I have built a jig with a 1:12 taper. A good stiff back plank and two
planed and sanded tapered ramps securely mounted to the back piece to
make a valley for the thing to be scarfed. I then have a sled that I
mount a router on. The scarfs are very accurate and can be repeated lots
of times if necessary. So a few practices on scrap wood are easy to get
the best technique before you attack your very expensive good wood.

I have been very pleased with the results although it is a lot of effort
to build the jig. I have used it a lot for various jobs including a
rubbing strip involving 4 pieces of wood.

Steve
http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search;search_forum=1
There are many different ways to cut scarphs. For spar scarphs, jigs
that create a ramp for a long handplane might be the easiest way.
For spars, you want at least 12:1 taper.

"Bert van den Berg" wrote
in message ...
I have seen wood scarfed for wood mast construction where there is a long
joint made by overlapping two pieces of tapered wood. Can anyone tell me
how you physically create the long tapered joint? I have been

thinking of
using a thicknesser with multi passes.

Regards,

Bert van den Berg

Roger Derby

Not a new subject, but ...

I've had very good luck making 8:1 scarfs by supporting the two pieces atop
one another, staggered, and marked, and then planing (power and hand) for a
plane surface. Check with a straight edge. The angle is not critical, but
8:1 is thought minimal by many.

Example: to scarf two 2x4's (1.5" x 3.5"), mark back 12" (= 8 x 1.5) from
the end of each and clamp them together, staggered, with a firm support
under the lower one. If there's a "preferred surface" then flip one piece
so the surfaces will match. Remove wood until there's a smooth ramp from
the innermost mark (the one that's 24" from the end).

Flip one piece so that the two ramps are face to face, jiggle around until a
straightedge lies flat touching both surfaces, and scrawl some "witness"
marks across the join. Ensure other alignments are correct.

Protect your work surface with polyethylene.

Coat both surfaces with unthickened epoxy to fill the end grain and avoid an
epoxy-starved joint, then apply thickened epoxy (I like wood flour for
thickening). Put the two pieces together so the witness marks line up,
clamp lightly, and go away for a day or two.

It doesn't hurt to heat the pieces of wood before applying the epoxy. As
they cool, the epoxy is drawn into the wood. Otherwise the heat generated
by the curing epoxy can cause air to bubble out of the wood disturbing the
epoxy in spots. The heat makes the epoxy cure faster too.

Roger

http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

"Bert van den Berg" wrote in message
I have seen wood scarfed for wood mast construction where there is a long
joint made by overlapping two pieces of tapered wood. Can anyone tell me
how you physically create the long tapered joint? I have been thinking
of
using a thicknesser with multi passes.

Regards,

Bert van den Berg

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 February 16th 04 11:02 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 09:07 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM