Jim Conlin

Default scarf joint strength

If the joints are properly done, they'll be about as strong and stiff as the
stock. No beefing up will be needed.

Patrick wrote:

I need to scarf 3 sheets of half inch ply together before I can start
lofting, for a stitch and glue boat I,m building.
How strong is the joint once glued and will I have to beef up the joint with
battens to enable me to handle the ply once together?
Patrick
8-1 was the ratio I was going to use.

Al

If the joints are properly done, they'll be about as strong and stiff as
the
stock. No beefing up will be needed.

the glue join won't need beefing (if done properly, obviously) but the ply
may fail if it's poor quality... up to you, just use some intelligence when
moving the three sheets once joined.

Al

Patrick wrote:

I need to scarf 3 sheets of half inch ply together before I can start
lofting, for a stitch and glue boat I,m building.
How strong is the joint once glued and will I have to beef up the joint with
battens to enable me to handle the ply once together?
Patrick
8-1 was the ratio I was going to use.

Dont forget, if you apply a batten before the ply is attached to your hull, it
won't curve in the area of the batten as much as in the rest of the stock, so
you will have a "flat" spot...if the batten goes on after, you've got to fit a
flat piece to a curve. A well made scarf is enough.

Beeswax

( OT ) Bush's 9/11 coverup? Jim General 5 March 7th 04 01:36 PM
gimbal bearing or universal joint failure? doug General 2 February 11th 04 03:00 PM
joint venture Florida Keyz General 0 January 10th 04 03:24 AM
Isabel regains strength 160-195 mph winds Harry Krause General 4 September 16th 03 01:18 AM