posted to rec.boats.building

Default Hagerty Sea Shell

I just inherited a Hagerty Sea Shell. It was apparently a kit boat. I
have searched the web high and low for info and couldn't find anything
of value. Looking for any and all information on this boat.

Thanks in advance.

Tailgunner wrote:
I just inherited a Hagerty Sea Shell. It was apparently a kit boat. I
have searched the web high and low for info and couldn't find anything
of value. Looking for any and all information on this boat.

Thanks in advance.

I stand corrected. I just found this:

http://www.cohassetcolonials.com/abo...-sea-shell.pdf

$35 in 1947 for complete kit. Just wish the company was still in
business so I could order sailing kit which was lost over the years.
posted to rec.boats.building
DSK DSK is offline

Tailgunner wrote:
I stand corrected. I just found this:

http://www.cohassetcolonials.com/abo...-sea-shell.pdf

$35 in 1947 for complete kit. Just wish the company was still in
business so I could order sailing kit which was lost over the years.

That's not a shell, that's a pram!

Anyway you could put a sailing rig on it from almost any
small boat. For simplicity I'd get the rig & daggerboard &
rudder from something like a Sabot or El Toro. The lug rig
off a Nutshell Pram (also sold as a kit, I'm sure they'd
sell you the rig) might look good on it.

For excitement, get a Laser rig and put it on.

The hard part is going to be figuring out where to put the
mast step & partners, then getting them perfectly centered &
aligned, then making them strong enough. A kit from 1947
wouldn't help you with that part anyway.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK wrote:
Tailgunner wrote:
I stand corrected. I just found this:

http://www.cohassetcolonials.com/abo...-sea-shell.pdf

$35 in 1947 for complete kit. Just wish the company was still in
business so I could order sailing kit which was lost over the years.

That's not a shell, that's a pram!

Anyway you could put a sailing rig on it from almost any small boat. For
simplicity I'd get the rig & daggerboard & rudder from something like a
Sabot or El Toro. The lug rig off a Nutshell Pram (also sold as a kit,
I'm sure they'd sell you the rig) might look good on it.

For excitement, get a Laser rig and put it on.

The hard part is going to be figuring out where to put the mast step &
partners, then getting them perfectly centered & aligned, then making
them strong enough. A kit from 1947 wouldn't help you with that part
anyway.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thanks Doug. It is a pram but the model was called "Sea Shell".

The boat is rigged for sailing. Centerboard, rudder and mast step. I am
missing the mast and sails. I thought about using a sunfish rig but
that's too much sail. Somebody here at work mentioned Opti which appears
to be similar. I'm also going to look into a mirror dinghy setup as
there are a lot of them around here and I might find something used.

Nick

Tailgunner wrote:
The boat is rigged for sailing. Centerboard, rudder and mast step.

OK, then the hard part is done!

... I am
missing the mast and sails. I thought about using a sunfish rig but
that's too much sail.

C'mon where's your sense of adventure!
Anyway the Sunfish rig is rather heavy & clunky for a little
boat like that IMHO

.... Somebody here at work mentioned Opti which appears
to be similar.

It's similar, a bit on the smallish side and kind of finicky.

I'm also going to look into a mirror dinghy setup as
there are a lot of them around here and I might find something used.

That's a good bet, and the jib will give you more options
for balancing the boat with regard to the sail plan center
of effort / hull's lateral plane.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to rec.boats.building

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Tailgunner wrote:

Tailgunner.

I've got a sailing dink just like that one. Bought it here inBranford, ct
about 37 years ago. My first sailboat.

I also have the sailing rig. I'll get the specs etc and send them off to
you. Alsop have a couple of pixx with the kids and myself out in it. Still
have the boat and sail it once in a while.

If you are in the CT area, you are welcome to take a peek at the sail rig.

KG

posted to rec.boats.building

Kevin Gunther wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Tailgunner wrote:

Tailgunner.

I've got a sailing dink just like that one. Bought it here inBranford, ct
about 37 years ago. My first sailboat.

I also have the sailing rig. I'll get the specs etc and send them off to
you. Alsop have a couple of pixx with the kids and myself out in it. Still
have the boat and sail it once in a while.

If you are in the CT area, you are welcome to take a peek at the sail rig.

KG

Thank you. I'd love the specs!

Nick