posted to rec.boats.building

Default Headliner backing?

I just picked up a roll of Nautolex headliner on ebay and am trying to
figure out the best way to install it. It needs some sort of backing to
keep it from sagging so my first thought was 1/8" masonite but masonite
doesn't resist moisture very well. Okoume is to expensive. Any ideas for a
thin sheet good that is moisture resistant, inexpensive and will take a
spray adhesive?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.building

Varnished cheap plywood after you fill the flaws with spackling compound?
Sounds like a great use for these "door skins" people keep mentioning.
(I've never seen them in the Big Boxes I frequent.)

It won't be below the waterline for very long, if ever, and it shouldn't be
too visible.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I just picked up a roll of Nautolex headliner on ebay and am trying to
figure out the best way to install it. It needs some sort of backing to
keep it from sagging so my first thought was 1/8" masonite but masonite
doesn't resist moisture very well. Okoume is to expensive. Any ideas for
a thin sheet good that is moisture resistant, inexpensive and will take a
spray adhesive?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn,
Door skin is usually there somewhere, but it is more often labled luan
underlayment. This stuff is three layer really thin (1/8 - 3mm)
plywood. Underlayment can often be gotten with exterior glue.

When you go to cut it, you may do better with a mat knife than a saw as
the surface cracks and splinters in preference to cutting.

If you go to a real lumberyard, they may have "door skin" which is often
provided varished and protected on the good side.

Most of the door skin in my rack actualy fell off old hollow core
interior doors.

= I haven't seen updates on the site recently -
Have you gotten a case of the "going together screamies"?
Good Luck,

Matt Colie

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
As often as I hear the words "Door Skins" I have never found a place to
actually buy any.

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Jim is offline

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
As often as I hear the words "Door Skins" I have never found a place to
actually buy any.

The plywood refereed to as "door skins" is actually a type of mahogany.
It's called Luan, and if it were refereed to as a type of mahogany it
wouldn't be looked down on.

This is really wonderful stuff. I've built several small boats from it.
waterproof glue, rot resistant, tight, few voids. If you pick the
right piece, it looks great varnished. It is the right material for a
headliner backing.

Don't know why people think it's substandard.

It's at Home Depot, they sell it everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.building

How about that board they put in showers? Pretty cheap and should be
available at the big box stores.

posted to rec.boats.building

I just finished building two dingies out of 5.1 mm Luan from the big
box store - $9 a sheet... It is nice stuff and will work like
gangbusters as a headliner backer... Give it a coat on both sides of
urethane varnish... It will out last the boat... If you can find 3mm
or 4mm that's great also...

cheers ... denny - just starting my retirement power cat...

I'm ba aaaack! jlr ASA 191 March 2nd 06 09:03 PM
backing plates sel1 General 28 December 14th 04 08:10 AM
Water Stains in Headliner Dano General 2 September 22nd 03 12:43 AM
Stanchion base backing plates Wally ASA 10 September 2nd 03 04:26 PM