Dano

Default Water Stains in Headliner

Greetings again all. I am still shopping for a 30-35ft river cruiser for my
family. As it's near the end of the season here in Minneapolis, the prices
are dropping and I am now looking at a 1991 Searay 310 Sundancer with the
454s & vdrives. Appreciate any comments on this boat as a family cruiser on
the Mississippi. Beyond that the boat has headliner water stains around the
hatch covers and along where the dashboard above would be. The owner says
that he had the canvas off and the hatches open in the slip and it rained
while he was away from the boat. Sound plausible?? Is there anyway to
remove the stains short of replacing the headliner? Thanks for all the info
here and of course any offer will be pending survey, sea trials, ect.

-Dano
Mpls, MN

Keith

Well, in reality the survey is a negotiating tool developed by a hired gun
to find every possible defect. You don't go to the buyer and say, "aw, none
of those things are any big deal, I'll pay you full asking price." You have
to assume the worst case for any of those defects, and reduce the price by
the amount it would take to have it professionally repaired, correctly.
Remember, he's buying a boat here, not fixing one he already has.

Now once he has it, he can explore and if he can fix it on the cheap, so be
it.

--

Keith
__
"Jim -" wrote in message
OxiClean also works wonders and headliner stains.

wrote in message
Not necessarily but there is a tendency for that
boat to leak around the rail stanchions. You can
check out the bedding around everything on deck.
As far as removing the stains, make a solution of
one part bleach to four parts water. SPRAY it on
and let it sit awhile then BLOT it off with paper
towels. Sure worked well with mine.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:14:38 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

Nah, he's got leaks. The hatch and maybe other stuff will have to be

removed
and rebedded. Add the cost of replacing the headliner as well. Hope

there's
no wood rotted out in there to boot.

Your mileage may, and probably does differ. I don't know everything nor

do I claim
to. I have hauled all kinds of things all over the country for forty

years and have
made most mistakes that can be made. I call that experience. My real

e-mail addy is

Capt. Frank Hopkins

I would rain a waterhose on the areas affected. also check for any
rotted wood. You could try a portable carpet/ upholstery cleaning
machine on the headliner.