posted to rec.boats.building

Default Plywood masts

Hello,

I'am building a little daysailer (Pirat) , and I want to build a mast
for it.
I do not know anything about boats, an building techniques, but build a
"puer" wood mast is out. Is any problem with a plywood epoxy mast?. I
think no, but.....
Any "advice" or help will be very usefull.

Thank you.

mario

posted to rec.boats.building

Trying to translate the class rules it looks like the mast is 5515mm long
with a minimum section of 55x75mm to 4400mm above the deck and then
tapering. Minimum weight of 3kg which is much lighter than anything you
could make in normal plywood. Looks like most of the boats on the Pirat
class site are using the Selden extrusions which weigh about 1Kg/M or about
5.5Kg. Anything much heavier would probably put you in the back of the
fleet.

You might experiment with some 1.5mm Okoume or rotary cut Italian poplar
plywood. You can bend it to a radius of about 25mm.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...