Parallax

Default More Minicup building

Nearly finished with #2. Rain every day has really slowed things.
Trailer is also nearly finished. Had to greatly modify the trailer
from Northern Tool but will be able to carry the two Minicups and a
sailboard. After getting both boats on it yesterday, I realized that
vibration might loosen the lag screws I used to hold the wood frame
together so I am getting some 5/16" thru-bolts.
For a dolly, I have decided to use the two 1/8" thick X 2"X 16'
diameter Aluminum tubing I originally bought for use as spars (later
replaced by .050" wall). I will join them at one end and have them
separated near the other end by a 2"x4" about 5' apart. The 2x4 will
carry the axle and the boat will rest on the two tubes. Will probably
require a support between the two ends. The pointy end will have a
lifting strap. I now plan to use 20" wheels from Macmaster-Carr
although they cost 26$ each.
My big boat (28' S2) is now also ready for me to work on so this is
also competing for time. PPL who put up the mast bent the VHF antenna
on the mast top. When I was younger, this would be no problem as I
would have no difficulty in climbing the mast but age and having kids
makes one far more mortal. I'd gladly allow somebody to sail her for
a few days in exchange for climbing the mast and fixing the antenna.
Parallax

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Other than another coat of paint and making the sail which I cannot do
tonight, I am finished with both Minicups. I hope to do the sail
tomorrow night and maybe sail both on Sunday.
Trailer is basically finished except for installation of the lights
which cannot be done tonight cuz I need some more wire. Also need to
get a 1 7/8" ball for my truck.
Have not yet made the dolly because I changed my design again. My
first experiment will use my two thick 16' Al spars. I will join them
at one end with a single wheel between them like a sort of wheelbarrow
with the tubes as the sides with straps going between to hold the
boat. Handles will be the ends of the tubing. I decided this because
I got a single 14" wheel cheap from Lowes and I realized this will
collapse easier than a two wheel version.
Parallax

[...]

Didn't sail Sunday but finished the sail today. Test drove the trailer yesterday.
Stephen Baker

Parallax says:

snip sadness

Actually found one Guinness in the fridge to drown my dissapointment.

So it was a good day after all... ;-)

Better luck with the wind next time.

Steve