posted to rec.boats.building
dan dan is offline

Default source for lead pigs

Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

Visit: http://www.mcmaster.com/

and type 'lead' into the "find" (search) box. I think the displayed
'ingots' may work for you...

MW

dan wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

They are called "lofting ducks" or "spline weights and you can find some
fancy ones he http://www.boatsofwood.com/ Edson also has some really fine
cast bronze ones for about $35 each. For a more practical version
http://www.splineweights.com/checkout.htm has them for $12 to $18.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

If you're looking for what draftsmen call "ducks" or spline weights you may
have trouble. Several authors have commented on how "nobody makes them
anymore." There is a set for sale on e-bay at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPLINE-WEIGHTS-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck,
Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn,

Thanks for the URL.

However, when I went there the page had a BOLD, RED note '. . . Production
suspended til 2007 - - Going to Iraq . . .' !!!! Sounds like he is National
Guard, etc.

If you 'click' on the 'Instruction Sheets', the page flips to one where they
offer the Instructions to D-I-Y for $3.50. Looking at the photos, especially
of the 'Duck', I seem to remember an article {WoodenBoat ?} on how to do
it - the shape of the Brass 'hold-down' was identical. Where they sandcast
them, this method was a 2-piece wood mold treated with 'waterglass'.

Another solution . . . definitely NOT as ELEGANT . . . is 'Plumbers Lead'.
It used to come in a 25-lb. 'string' of 5 lb blocks with a handle. File &
bend Brass 'welding rod' to shape, drill a hole in the side, glue some felt
on the bottom . . . and 'Bob's Your Uncle'. {I've also seen BRICKS with a
cloth 'slipcover' - Butt-Ugly, but do the job !!}

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
They are called "lofting ducks" or "spline weights and you can find some
fancy ones he http://www.boatsofwood.com/ Edson also has some really

fine
cast bronze ones for about $35 each. For a more practical version
http://www.splineweights.com/checkout.htm has them for $12 to $18.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

Why not make your own? Tire places are willing to part with wheel weights
for a reasonable price. Melt them and pour into a mold.
Dave
oups.com...