posted to rec.boats.building
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default source for lead pigs

Glenn,

Thanks for the URL.

However, when I went there the page had a BOLD, RED note '. . . Production
suspended til 2007 - - Going to Iraq . . .' !!!! Sounds like he is National
Guard, etc.

If you 'click' on the 'Instruction Sheets', the page flips to one where they
offer the Instructions to D-I-Y for $3.50. Looking at the photos, especially
of the 'Duck', I seem to remember an article {WoodenBoat ?} on how to do
it - the shape of the Brass 'hold-down' was identical. Where they sandcast
them, this method was a 2-piece wood mold treated with 'waterglass'.

Another solution . . . definitely NOT as ELEGANT . . . is 'Plumbers Lead'.
It used to come in a 25-lb. 'string' of 5 lb blocks with a handle. File &
bend Brass 'welding rod' to shape, drill a hole in the side, glue some felt
on the bottom . . . and 'Bob's Your Uncle'. {I've also seen BRICKS with a
cloth 'slipcover' - Butt-Ugly, but do the job !!}

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
They are called "lofting ducks" or "spline weights and you can find some
fancy ones he http://www.boatsofwood.com/ Edson also has some really

fine
cast bronze ones for about $35 each. For a more practical version
http://www.splineweights.com/checkout.htm has them for $12 to $18.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me where to purchase small lead pigs for lofting lines
for small wooden boats ? Thanks - Dan