posted to rec.boats.building
Courtney Thomas

Default what capacity plasma cutter is recommended for metal boat construction?

I've been looking at various cutters and would appreciate guidance as to
the minimum cutter that would be suitable for building a steel sailboat
of no more than 35' loa.

I've little experience with plasma cutters and don't want to make the
mistake of buying too little or too much :-)

Additionally what features are essential for satisfactory use in the
above named project ?

Gratefully,

Courtney

posted to rec.boats.building
sunner

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
k.net...
I've been looking at various cutters and would appreciate guidance as to
the minimum cutter that would be suitable for building a steel sailboat
of no more than 35' loa.

I've little experience with plasma cutters and don't want to make the
mistake of buying too little or too much :-)

Additionally what features are essential for satisfactory use in the
above named project ?

Gratefully,

Courtney

I'd take this next door to sci.engr.joining.welding for the 'experts
opinion'

posted to rec.boats.building
noexpert

I would have pieces precut as per design files by steel supplier. Lasercut
etc
Too much work and not precise enough DIY.
For some leftover and trim work a 50A even a 40A Cutter or less can do.
Just watch duty cicle and allow for cooldown.
Watch your coolingfan; don't accidentaly plug or obstruct it. Know from
experience!

. ..

"sunner" wrote in message

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
k.net...
I've been looking at various cutters and would appreciate guidance as to
the minimum cutter that would be suitable for building a steel sailboat
of no more than 35' loa.

I've little experience with plasma cutters and don't want to make the
mistake of buying too little or too much :-)

Additionally what features are essential for satisfactory use in the
above named project ?

Gratefully,

Courtney

I'd take this next door to sci.engr.joining.welding for the 'experts
opinion'

Free 1960 28' Triton Pearson - Link Mic Cruising 14 February 12th 06 02:53 AM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM