bobsuruncle

Default primer??

I want to repaint the hull of my boat. i know i should use good
quality antifouling paint. My question is if i need to use a primer
or not. the hull is mohogany but i dont know if i need primer. if
so, which kind do i need?
Ed Humphries

bobsuruncle wrote in message . ..
I want to repaint the hull of my boat. i know i should use good
quality antifouling paint. My question is if i need to use a primer
or not. the hull is mohogany but i dont know if i need primer. if
so, which kind do i need?

I believe you'll find that the best way to get good adhesion and long
life is proper preparation. Read the instructions: most are pretty
clear about what it takes to get a good application. Read the experts
books.

What you will find out is that you _might_ be able to get away with
just sanding the old paint down and then paint over it. But for a
good job you need to get the old surface down, fair, and then prime
it.

I'm in that process now myself. Have fun and good luck!

Cheers, Ed Humphries
Atlanta, Georgia
bobsuruncle

Thanks for the info.
Just a couple more questions for you that come to mind reading your
response,
How does one stop the rain leaks? will goop marine fix epoxy paste
that you pick up at canadian tire or other hardware stores work? or is
there some other type of product i should use?
Secondly, how does one get rid of mould and stuff? is it even possible
or do i have to replace the wood with mould (mostly the deck around
the rain leaks) what do i use if it is possible? my boat is out of
the water, has been all winter. do i have to recaulk it or just putty
the seams again? any help is GREATLY appreciated. lol. should've
bought a dingy, less work. lol.

On 13 Jun 2004 17:51:57 -0700, (Ed Humphries)
wrote:

[...]

auerbach

Removing mold is no fun, and not easy (or certain.)

Look at http://healthandenergy.com/removing_mold.htm
and http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldresources.html
and http://www.cal-iaq.org/mold0107.htm

In general terms, you use detergent to remove the dead mold, and a dilute
bleach solution to kill the mold spores. Some molds are dangerous, and the
cost of testing is high enough so it makes sense to simply spend some money
on protective gear rather than paying for tests. (The mold scare has lots of
labs doing testing, not all of which are particularly good, so you can spend
$300 on a worthless test.)

Typically you'd use 1 1/2 cups of household bleach (Clorox) to a gallon of
water as a disinfectant, after scrubbing down the affected area with a
strong detergent or deck wash a couple of times. Don't use bleach straight
from the bottle; that's actually less effective than the diluted solution.

The bleach can of course damage the interior furnishing of your boat, so
cover or remove items that can be damaged. And read a LOT before you pick up
a brush and pail.

Stop any leaks and maintain the flow of air to reduce the likelihood of mold
returning.

Alex

news

wrote:

bobsuruncle wrote in message

. ..
I want to repaint the hull of my boat. i know i should use good
quality antifouling paint. My question is if i need to use a primer
or not. the hull is mohogany but i dont know if i need primer. if
so, which kind do i need?

I believe you'll find that the best way to get good adhesion and long
life is proper preparation. Read the instructions: most are pretty
clear about what it takes to get a good application. Read the experts
books.

What you will find out is that you _might_ be able to get away with
just sanding the old paint down and then paint over it. But for a
good job you need to get the old surface down, fair, and then prime
it.

I'm in that process now myself. Have fun and good luck!

Cheers, Ed Humphries
Atlanta, Georgia

HVLP gun to spray System Three LPU Doug Boat Building 14 December 3rd 03 03:20 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Aluminium preparation and painting Stevens Boat Building 2 October 20th 03 11:58 PM
primer ball Peter Wedeles General 3 August 8th 03 04:33 AM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM