Jim Conlin

Default Sailboat Restoration - Is it worth it?

Yessir! Shallow water is the secret weapon for safety in shaky boats.

Rufus Laggren wrote:

My word! This has been a most entertaining thread. I had no idea there
was so much quick & dirty, cheap ****, ruthless and practical expertise
in this high toned crowd. G

Even saved some links.

Cheers, Rufus

Ryk

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:18:22 GMT, in message

Jim Conlin wrote:

Two recommendations:
Duct tape! Use no more than one roll to bandage the wounds.
Use the boat only in water which is shallow enough that you can walk to shore.

From what I recall of sailing one of these things many years ago,
that's good advice for getting it go up wind as well.

wrote:
Sorry about all the questions. I've done glasswork before, but
I'm far from being a pro. Unfortunately I don't know the make either. Thank
you very much for your responses.

If you have some skills and are ready to work, you can probably get
more sailing by volunteering to help somebody on their restoration of
a boat more worthy of the time, effort, and money. Good skippers value
good crew, especially those who are ready to work on the boat.

Ryk
rhys

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:59:51 GMT, Rufus Laggren
wrote:

My word! This has been a most entertaining thread. I had no idea there
was so much quick & dirty, cheap ****, ruthless and practical expertise
in this high toned crowd. G

hey, even Huck Finn had his raft...G

R.
William R. Watt

wrote:

My word! This has been a most entertaining thread. I had no idea there
was so much quick & dirty, cheap ****, ruthless and practical expertise
in this high toned crowd. G

hey, even Huck Finn had his raft...G

I belive that was a "found" raft. Huck didn't actually build it himself.
It was most likely built by a professional raft builder, the
great-great-grandfather of the Gudgeon brothers using an early form of
epoxy, and very expensive. The Chris Craft of river rafts.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

Backyard Renegade ) writes:

Or even cheaper with ring nails and chine logs

I read that Harold Payson uses ring nails on his "instant" boats but I
don't like them for the following reasons...

1. they can't be extracted. I like to do a dry fit before applying
adhesive. I can fit the pieces together with screws, then take them apart
and put them together again with glue. I use inexpensive materials but I
am particular when it comes to fit. I think dry fitting is a good practice
for inexperienced boat builders. Sometimes after I've been using the boat
for some time I find reason to remove some of the fastenings to make
modifications or repairs.

2. I can't find ring nails locally. They are not a Home Depot item. All I
see are the flooring nails which are over and inch long. I use 3/4" #8
zinc plated screws of which there is a cheap supply ($3 / lb) locally. I
might try hot dipped spiral nails if they came small enough. They could be
driven part way in for a dry fit and extracted. I've used long ones on
repairs to hardwook flooring. I don't want to go to the trouble of buying
materials mail order, waiting for delivery, and paying postage. I crave
instant gratificaton, can't stand the suspense.

3. The books I've read all say to drill holes before pounding ring nails
into your boat. They don't save drilling holes, but would save
countersinking.

4. Harold Payson is an expert who never makes a mistake. I only wish I were.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm