Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building
Patrickt

Default help, my primer has pin-holes,..

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:51:14 GMT, 1088 wrote:

Still fixing my fixer-upper. I chiseled and sanded the crazing in the
gelcoat, then filled with several different things and the cracks are
covered ok but the tiny, tiny pin-holes will not fill. Many of these
looked like tiny black spots at first. Any attempt to fill them
results in some kind of gassing and the filler just ozzes back out
after a while.
Things I've tried:
marine tex
west system epoxy and 407/404/talc
automotive bondo ($13 per gallon)
white yuppie-yacht bondo
system3 epoxy and 404
real smelly blue spot putty from the auto store
I was reasonably pleased until I sanded the second coat of primer
(parker 1040) vacuumed and washed and, and, and there they are again-
sons of bitches!
I'm definately open to suggestion at this point. Thanks for your time
as always.

Sounds to me like you have some type of silicone contaminate on the
surface. Washing it down with acetone, mek or something like that
should get rid of the problem. You can also try ditzler wax and
grease remover, wipe dry while still wet.

Try it in a small spot first to see if it solves the problem.

Interlux Brightside Primer "Pre-Kote" Fred General 3 May 27th 06 02:30 AM
Swimming holes in Alabama Jazz General 0 April 19th 06 12:22 AM
Epoxy fibreglass on top of epoxy primer seagoat Boat Building 2 December 1st 05 11:59 AM
Filling some small holes cvj Cruising 3 November 28th 05 04:15 PM
temporary primer paint Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 3 November 9th 05 11:41 PM