Fred

Default Interlux Brightside Primer "Pre-Kote"

HELP I just finished using the interlux brightside primer "Pre-Kote"
after 60 hours of prep work on a hull. I filled and sanded small
blemishes with interlux "Watertite", and sanded the entire hull with
120 and 220 (and 320 for the "Watertite" areas). I then used the
Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 to clean the hull. We primed it with
Interlux "Pre-Kote" (rolled and tipped). It has been 7 days now and
the primer is not dry. It is dry in spots (where it was thin) but any
places where it was thicker cannot be sanded. I can use my thumbnail
to take the primer off. Any people with the same problem or an idea?

Thanks....Fred

Fred wrote:
HELP I just finished using the interlux brightside primer "Pre-Kote"
after 60 hours of prep work on a hull. I filled and sanded small
blemishes with interlux "Watertite", and sanded the entire hull with
120 and 220 (and 320 for the "Watertite" areas). I then used the
Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 to clean the hull. We primed it with
Interlux "Pre-Kote" (rolled and tipped). It has been 7 days now and
the primer is not dry. It is dry in spots (where it was thin) but any
places where it was thicker cannot be sanded. I can use my thumbnail
to take the primer off. Any people with the same problem or an idea?

Thanks....Fred

Brightside is a 1-part poly, so if you stirred the paint thoroughly
before you applied it, it wouldn't seem likely that you have a bad mix
of medium (solvents) and solids.
Is the Solvent Wash and acetone? I've painted boot stripes and whale
stripes with Brightside, and as I remember it we used an acetone for
final cleaning before applying the paint. I used a white primer under
dark green, no problems after about a day's drying.

However, there seems to be a lot of people with a similar problem to
that you're experiencing. Here's a link to a discussion group where
people are commenting that it is taking "2 weeks" for the primer to
properly harden:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....673#post148673

Fred

Thank you for the quick reply...I will check out the web site.

Fred

I just checked out the site...it seems this is not unusual...I wish I
would have known. Thanks again