Gary Warner

Default Calk to use around exhanst??

Where the exhaust pipe goes through the transom
I'm going to pack some heat-resistant fiberglass
rope around it. But it also needs some calk to
keep the water out. I don't imagine it can be
*that* hot but the cooling water flowing through
will heat the pipe some.

What type of calk can I use that will be OK
in that heat?

Thanks,
Gary

Ron White

Assuming you have mufflers in your wet exhaust system, should be able to use
your favorite caulk. I would not bother with the packing. The exhaust can
operate at maybe 180 F so anything that can take that or maybe up to 225
intermittently should be fine.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Gary Warner

"Ron White" wrote in message
Assuming you have mufflers in your wet exhaust system, should be able to

use
your favorite caulk. I would not bother with the packing. The exhaust can
operate at maybe 180 F so anything that can take that or maybe up to 225
intermittently should be fine.

No muffler. Just the elbow from the engine. Then through a
rubber coupling hose. Then to the brass 3" (or 3.5"?) tube
going through the transom.

This is a 1958 Chris Craft Model "M" engine. Basically
a straight 6 cylinder 130 horse engine.

Thanks,
Gary

Steve Lusardi

Gary, it is normal practice to weld a flange around the exiting tube. The
flange is then scewed or bolted to the transom. It is the flange to transom
that is sealed, not the tube. That solution eliminates significant heat to
the seal. The seal should be polysulphide, not RTV. RTV or any other
silicone sealer should be used with great caution on a boat. It is not
compatible to paint or any coating that I am aware of.
Steve

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Where the exhaust pipe goes through the transom
I'm going to pack some heat-resistant fiberglass
rope around it. But it also needs some calk to
keep the water out. I don't imagine it can be
*that* hot but the cooling water flowing through
will heat the pipe some.

What type of calk can I use that will be OK
in that heat?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Warner

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Gary, it is normal practice to weld a flange around the exiting tube. The
flange is then scewed or bolted to the transom. It is the flange to

transom
that is sealed, not the tube. That solution eliminates significant heat to
the seal. The seal should be polysulphide, not RTV. RTV or any other
silicone sealer should be used with great caution on a boat. It is not
compatible to paint or any coating that I am aware of.
Steve

This is a brass pipe. There is a chrome trim ring that goes around it and
screws to the transom. But they were not welded together when I took
them apart. I don't think I want to get into welding them together.

Thanks, Steve, for the advice about the RTV/silicone.

Gary Warner

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
Brass or bronze? It should not be brass. Brass will quickly dezincify in

an
exhaust use. The consequences are very unpleasant.

Sorry, wasn't thinking. I believe you are correct that it is Bronze.