Gary Warner

Default Calk to use around exhanst??

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Gary, it is normal practice to weld a flange around the exiting tube. The
flange is then scewed or bolted to the transom. It is the flange to

transom
that is sealed, not the tube. That solution eliminates significant heat to
the seal. The seal should be polysulphide, not RTV. RTV or any other
silicone sealer should be used with great caution on a boat. It is not
compatible to paint or any coating that I am aware of.
Steve

This is a brass pipe. There is a chrome trim ring that goes around it and
screws to the transom. But they were not welded together when I took
them apart. I don't think I want to get into welding them together.

Thanks, Steve, for the advice about the RTV/silicone.