Paul Browne

Default Tach for OB w/out alternator

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

IBNFSHN

Outboard tachs connect to one of the leads from the stator. Usually a gray
lead.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Paul Browne

First of all, thanks very much for replying!

Yes, I saw in my wiring diagram that there is indeed a gray wire marked tach
lead...does that mean that I connect the wire that is supposed to go to the
alternator to that one? And I keep reading about alternator pole count...how
would I set that up?

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Outboard tachs connect to one of the leads from the stator. Usually a gray
lead.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no

alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash

mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Jim

Hopefuly one of the outboard mechanics will respond here. I suspect
that due to the age of that outboard and the fact that it's a Johnson,
you'll need a tach that you can set for 6 pulses per revolution. I
believe this cooresponds to a 12 pole alternator count. I have a '77
55hp that I needed a tach that I could set to the 6 pulses. My
brother's 100hp which is a bit older has the same setup.

-Jim

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message

Outboard tachs connect to one of the leads from the stator. Usually a gray
lead.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no

alternator),

and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for

me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash

mount

gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Brian Whatcott

Tachs have switch settings for 12 or 20 etc pole stators

Brian W

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Outboard tachs connect to one of the leads from the stator. Usually a gray
lead.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no

alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash

mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Paul Browne

Wow, thanks everyone for the great responses. I think I have my problem
solved now, thanks to all of you! Picking up a used tach at the boaters
exchange tomorrow, I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Paul Browne

Well, between all the newsgroups/forums I've been reading, I've been able to
assemble a working system. Thanks to all of you for your help in getting me
setup, I greatly appreciate it. What I've been able to gather is that a CD
ignition system functions exactly like an alternator, so it supplies a tach
feed that is usable, (grey wire) even though it cannot charge a battery.
The only thing that isn't totally clear yet is whether I should use a 5 pole
setting or a 6 pole. I purchased a used tach this afternoon, and it works
beautifully off of the stator feed.

Thanks again everyone!

"Paul Browne" wrote in message
newsRuuc.10550$ig5.4866@edtnps89...

I'm trying to put a tach on my '79 50hp Johnson (which has no alternator),
and all I seem to be able to find are tachs that require an alternator
hookup. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify one of those to work

for
me, or know of a tach (other than the TinyTach clipon, I want a dash mount
gauge) that will work? Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.

Tach for OB w/out alternator Paul Browne General 7 June 2nd 04 06:10 AM
RPM's / Tach question Don General 22 April 17th 04 04:23 AM
Motor runs rough with tach wire hooked up Ed Barchetta General 22 February 20th 04 12:43 AM
Evinrude tach problems Eric H General 1 August 26th 03 08:19 PM
Replace alternator in 5.7 Mercruiser? Calif Bill General 1 August 12th 03 03:37 AM