Bob Long

Default Old deck problem

I have a 1923 Clyde Day Sailer that has been somewhat neglected and the
problem
I want to sort out is the deck. the deck is made od tongue and grooved pitch
pine
boards about 4" x 1" and over time they have shrunk and bowed.
I would like to restor this to what it was. and cover it with Canvas in the
traditional way.
Do you think the boards will swell if I wet it and keep it wet for some time
?
or do you think I should replace the whole lot with new?

Also, has anyone used "antifreeze" in wood preserving and what where the
results like?

Cheers

Bob

P.C. Ford

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:13:18 +0100, "Bob Long"
wrote:

I have a 1923 Clyde Day Sailer that has been somewhat neglected and the
problem
I want to sort out is the deck. the deck is made od tongue and grooved pitch
pine
boards about 4" x 1" and over time they have shrunk and bowed.
I would like to restor this to what it was. and cover it with Canvas in the
traditional way.
Do you think the boards will swell if I wet it and keep it wet for some time

or do you think I should replace the whole lot with new?

Before you replace with new wood:
Cover the deck with wet blankets for a few days. I straightened out a
warped deck last winter.
Also, has anyone used "antifreeze" in wood preserving and what where the
results like?

There was a guy that promoted antifreeze to cure rot. He also thinks
it is a mircle panacea when applied to the human body. There are more
effective ways of dealing with rot. The best is to replace the
affected member.
William R. Watt

P.C. Ford ) writes:

There was a guy that promoted antifreeze to cure rot. He also thinks
it is a mircle panacea when applied to the human body. There are more
effective ways of dealing with rot. The best is to replace the
affected member.

some members are irreplaceable

the guy is Dave Carnell, a chemist.
look at the writeup on his website.
someone posted the address here recently.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Bob Long

I've heard that if you apply antifreeze to old timber it absorbs it like
water but does not give it up
so easily, thus stabilising the wood from further movement. and protecting
it from rot as a bonus!

cheers

Bob

"Bob Long" wrote in message
I have a 1923 Clyde Day Sailer that has been somewhat neglected and the
problem
I want to sort out is the deck. the deck is made od tongue and grooved

pitch
pine
boards about 4" x 1" and over time they have shrunk and bowed.
I would like to restor this to what it was. and cover it with Canvas in

the
traditional way.
Do you think the boards will swell if I wet it and keep it wet for some

time
?
or do you think I should replace the whole lot with new?

Also, has anyone used "antifreeze" in wood preserving and what where the
results like?

Cheers

Bob

William R. Watt

"Scott Downey" ) writes:
even antifreeze treated wood will dry out again
I wonder if the deck boards could be removed, reworked and relaid without
the gap.

when wood planks get wet and expand too much the fibres along the edges
are crushed. when it dries out permanent gaps open up. the wood cannot be
put back in its original shape to close the gaps. however if the wood only
dries out and gaps open up, then wetting the wood will close the gaps.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

New Deck Mark Davis General 4 November 28th 03 08:42 PM
New Deck Mark Davis Boat Building 3 November 28th 03 08:42 PM
Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II General 10 October 3rd 03 06:45 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 General 26 July 22nd 03 02:01 PM