posted to rec.boats.building

Default Epoxy over fairing compound?

Hey all,
I'm the final stages of prepping a hull for painting. I've finsished
with sanding and fairing and have some large patches of fairing
compound, made out of epoxy and micoballoons, on the hull. Do I have to
put on another coat (oy!) of epoxy over the compound? Some authorities
say to go right to painting at this stage but others say the fairing
compound has to be sealed with epoxy. I really don't mind the extra
work but the hull is looking really good and I don't want to take the
chance of messing up the hull with an unneccessary step. Also, I'm
probably going to go with a coat of high hiding primer (the boat won't
be stored in the water). Opinions?

Thanks,

Paul

posted to rec.boats.building

Paul:

Missing information includes: Bottom or Topside painting? Wood,
Fiberglass, Steel, other? In most cases, remove the word 'probably' in
the sentence with the word primer and you'll be fine. This would be
mandatory for a two-part (i.e. polyurathane) paint system, and lilely
just as necessary with one part polyurethane as well.

There's a ton of useful information at:

http:/www.yachtpaint.com

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks for the heads up

Missing information:
Stitch and glue plywood construction, epoxy and fiberglass overlays the
wood ( no wood is exposed ), one part polyurethane finish, the area in
question is the entire hull.

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

I would seal it to get a final moisture barrier outside the microballoons.
I faired the bottom of Rutu before turning her over and figured I better
seal it up well not only for a moisture barrier but some protection during
the rest of construction. I rolled and tipped three coats of epoxy with
about 60% by weight copper. I could see my face in it.

I will be doing the same to the topsides (without the copper). Then sand to
about 240 before applying the high build primer and 2 part LPU. I tested
that substrate/primer/topcoat combination on my Gerr Nester and that poor
little boat has been sitting upside down by the pond in full sun for 3 years
now and looks as good as the day the paint cured.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the heads up

Missing information:
Stitch and glue plywood construction, epoxy and fiberglass overlays the
wood ( no wood is exposed ), one part polyurethane finish, the area in
question is the entire hull.

posted to rec.boats.building
Martin Schöön

"Glenn Ashmore" writes:

I would seal it to get a final moisture barrier outside the microballoons.

When building my boat I painted (2-part LP) directly on the
fairing compound and as far I can see it works just fine.
My boat enters its 20th season right now.

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."

posted to rec.boats.building

I would go to a good high build primer and then paint after that.