posted to rec.boats.building
(PeteCresswell)

Default UV Barrier For Epoxy: Tapes?

I've got a 1" seam covered with fiberglass tape/epoxy. Spec surf ski.

I'd prefer to avoid painting it so that I can inspect it for cracking easily.

Somebody suggested aluminized reflective tape as being the best UV barrier, but
that seems a little too unaesthetic to me.

I just tried plastic electrical tape and am having reservations. I can see
light/dark areas through it... so I'm guessing UV will pass as easily or more
easily than visible light.

I thought of colored duct tape briefly, but it seems like the adhesive residue
would partially defeat the ease-of-inspection.

OTOH, this doesn't have to be forever. The boat in question is definitely on
it's last legs - major separations of the hull/deck bond.... mainly I just want
to nurse it along until I have the bucks to buy a new one.

Anybody have some observations about the tape route?

Am I obsessing over nothing? Can somebody ballpark the failure time/mode of the
epoxy resin in terms of hours of UV exposure? My mylar windsurfing sails
start to get failure-prone after about 300 hours of UV exposure in the
mid-Atlantic - and there's no way this thing is going to get 300 hours before
being junked.

If tape isn't going to work out, will any old black enamel paint do the trick?
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Stop worrying. UV exposure won't cause epoxy to fail structurally any time
soon. It just turns to an opaque lemon-curd yellow. I'm sure that ANY tape
offers more UV protection than the varnish finish on strip canoes.

Electrical tape sounds fine if you can get it wide enough. If not, Perhaps
a local sign shop can supply strips of the stiuff they do vinyl lettering
with. Zippy colors, too!

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

Drew Dalgleish

On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:30:09 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

[...]

Spar varnish will protect the epoxy and let you keep an eye on it.
posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman

wrote:

[...]

---------------------------------
The epoxy will certainly yellow and loss its gloss with UV exposure. But
if you don't mind the amber color that will result, the epoxy will still
last many years...

there are also clear uv blockers you can put over the epoxy to keep it
clear.....

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
----
posted to rec.boats.building
Dave W

Before I built my skiff six years ago, I epoxied pieces of exterior plywood
together to fit the back of my pickup. I wanted to try a novel method of
joining plywood and this seemed like a good opportunity. Since then, the
truck has been outside most of the time winter and summer. The epoxy is
yellowed but it still has plenty of strength. Amazingly enough the plywood
is still in pretty good shape in spite of zero maintenance (no paint) and
having had all kinds of junk thrown on top of it. Don't worry.
Dave

Great Barrier Reef Bob Crantz ASA 7 March 22nd 06 04:06 AM
Link to Extreme Makeover item.... [email protected] General 57 March 3rd 06 10:50 PM
Barrier coat Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 2 February 4th 06 12:14 AM