Adam

Default Loctite for bolts

I'm going to install floor stiffeners (2"x4" cedar sealed 3x by S1 - floors
are 1/2" marine plywood sealed as well) using machine SS bolts 3/8" 3", 4" &
5" long.
Should I use any of Lctie for the nuts?
Thanks in advance
Adam

Brian Nystrom

JSE wrote:

No. Use stainless steel with nylock. they are much easier to remove in the
future.

If you use Loctite #222 (pink/purple - low strength) or #242 (blue -
medium strength), the fasteners can be readily taken apart at a later
date. These two formulations are specifically designed for that. Loctite
#271 (red - high strength) is designed to be essentially permanent and
wouldn't be suitable.

Adam

Thanks for info, but I do not understand why I'll have to remove it in the
future.
Anyway I use epoxy glue to bound stiffeners and floors together, and it is
done permanently.
What for I'll need to disassembly this in the future?
Adam

#271 (red - high strength) is designed to be essentially permanent and
wouldn't be suitable.

JSE

It's been my experience that whatever you mess with starts a cascade effect
on the parts around it. Whether it be from the way the new verses old parts
handle stress differently or if you just miss something or mess up in the
measurements. You may also decide on design changes down the road. No matter
what, I'll always recommend stainless and nylock at sea.....corrosion does
weird things to all materials that aren't water.
Joe

#271 (red - high strength) is designed to be essentially permanent and
wouldn't be suitable.

dazed and confuzed

JSE wrote:
It's been my experience that whatever you mess with starts a cascade effect
on the parts around it. Whether it be from the way the new verses old parts
handle stress differently or if you just miss something or mess up in the
measurements. You may also decide on design changes down the road. No matter
what, I'll always recommend stainless and nylock at sea.....corrosion does
weird things to all materials that aren't water.
Joe

Why is nylock better than Loctite?

--
the most committed always win

Jim Conlin

To get back to the original question, if you're simply bolting timber parts
together and it's not an offshore powerboat, loctite, lock washers and nylocks
are not needed. Friction does the job.

what, I'll always recommend stainless and nylock at sea.....corrosion
does
weird things to all materials that aren't water.
Joe

Why is nylock better than Loctite?

Well, I guess they're simpler and more durable if the fasteners are
disassembled multiple times. Other than that, I don't think there is any
advantage. Nyloc nuts are definitely much more expensive, bulkier
and heavier than regular nuts and Loctite.

Brian Nystrom

Adam wrote:

Thanks for info, but I do not understand why I'll have to remove it in the
future.
Anyway I use epoxy glue to bound stiffeners and floors together, and it is
done permanently.
What for I'll need to disassembly this in the future?

I don't know that you would. I was just trying to clarify a point that
was made in a previous post that indicated that using Loctite could be
problematic. Using the correct Loctite formulation for the application
is all that's necessary.