peterMelbourneAustralia

Default Ply tinnie replacement needed

My fahter, 72, is finding his 12ft fiberglass boat to heavy to launch
by himself and needs a lighter boat.

The present boat has a 5hp outboard, solidly built, seaworth and has a
deep keel, unfortunately it is also a little heavy.

Was thinking of the 12ft version of John Welsford's Trover (without
well).

Dad's boat must be fast to build (not complicated), for motoring only
(sailing boats need not apply!!!), seaworthy, light, easy to build (a
few panels of marine ply) and not overly expensive. Basically he needs
a ply version of what we in australia call a 'tinnie'.

Thr Trover (12ft vers) is 12ft long, 4'7 beam. In cross section it is
made of only 5 panels (narrow flat bottom and two panels on each
side). Flat bottomed punts need not apply.

N. Peter Evans
William R. Watt

peterMelbourneAustralia ) writes:
My fahter, 72, is finding his 12ft fiberglass boat to heavy to launch
by himself and needs a lighter boat.

how light is he looking for?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
David Flew

Seems to me he needs a 'tinnie". Whatever ply boat you build it will need
much more maintenance than either fibreglass or tinnie, and I'd be surprised
if the weight difference of the rig will be more than a few kg. The tinnie
could well come out in front. I don't know if you have priced marine ply
lately, but it's not going to be as cheap as you might think. Second hand
tinnies can be very cheap - and you have the opportunity for him to try
launching one on his own before you buy - not possible if you build. I'm
assuming you are launching from a trailer - perhaps also have a look at
upgrading the trailer, perhaps motorise the winch.
DF

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
(peterMelbourneAustralia) wrote in

message . com...

Look at a boat called "Diablo" at instantboats.com
Disclaimer, Dynamite Payson and Instantboats.com are clients in an
unrelated business.
Scotty

Bob La Londe

"peterMelbourneAustralia" wrote in
message om...
My fahter, 72, is finding his 12ft fiberglass boat to heavy to launch
by himself and needs a lighter boat.

The present boat has a 5hp outboard, solidly built, seaworth and has a
deep keel, unfortunately it is also a little heavy.

Was thinking of the 12ft version of John Welsford's Trover (without
well).

Dad's boat must be fast to build (not complicated), for motoring only
(sailing boats need not apply!!!), seaworthy, light, easy to build (a
few panels of marine ply) and not overly expensive. Basically he needs
a ply version of what we in australia call a 'tinnie'.

Thr Trover (12ft vers) is 12ft long, 4'7 beam. In cross section it is
made of only 5 panels (narrow flat bottom and two panels on each
side). Flat bottomed punts need not apply.

N. Peter Evans

If the boat is otherwise adequate why not just launch it froma trialer?

peterMelbourneAustralia

Thanks for your replies.

The present boat is launched from a Trailer, but it is very solid,
would guess at 100kg, perhaps a touch more.

My father, 72 and not getting younger, finds winding this heavy boat
up by the winch hard work. Electric winch an option I guess. Think the
side rails of the trailer are solid and not rollers, thus more
difficult.

... but anyway..

As to maintenence, would cover with a good lid and only use every now
and then (every couple of months). Yes I guess a 'tinnie' might be OK,
but it has no character and was hoping to get something out of
building it.

Perhaps metal 'tinnie' is the most logical way to go. Will check out
instantboats.com as suggested.

N. Peter Evans
peterMelbourneAustralia

Boat weights part 2.

Have looked at 12ft tinnies and they seem to weight approx 80kg
(176lb).

At the instantboats.com site there was a boat called a cartopper at
92lb which equals 42kg (more suited to dad than a large 15ft boat).

Feel that a ply boat a little more substantial and thus heavier than
the cartopper is what I am looking for. The lighter the better I
feel. Based on this tinnies appear abuot 50% heavier again than an
equivalent ply boat.

The boat is intended to be powered by my dad's 5hp outboard.

N. Peter Evans
Backyard Renegade

"David Flew" wrote in message ...
Seems to me he needs a 'tinnie". Whatever ply boat you build it will need
much more maintenance than either fibreglass or tinnie, and I'd be surprised
if the weight difference of the rig will be more than a few kg. The tinnie
could well come out in front. I don't know if you have priced marine ply
lately, but it's not going to be as cheap as you might think. Second hand
tinnies can be very cheap - and you have the opportunity for him to try
launching one on his own before you buy - not possible if you build. I'm
assuming you are launching from a trailer - perhaps also have a look at
upgrading the trailer, perhaps motorise the winch.
DF

A cardfully built Diablo could come in at less than 225 lbs., I am
sure I could keep it under 200 but that's me. Diablo can be well built
with exterior plywood too. I can't imagine a fiberglass boat same size
at that weight. And as to maintanence, wooden boat maintenance is not
what it was 50 years ago, we make em' different now, paint once a
year, that's your maintenance...

Look at a boat called "Diablo" at instantboats.com
Disclaimer, Dynamite Payson and Instantboats.com are clients in an
unrelated business.
Scotty

Backyard Renegade

(peterMelbourneAustralia) wrote in message . com...
Boat weights part 2.

Have looked at 12ft tinnies and they seem to weight approx 80kg
(176lb).

At the instantboats.com site there was a boat called a cartopper at
92lb which equals 42kg (more suited to dad than a large 15ft boat).

Feel that a ply boat a little more substantial and thus heavier than
the cartopper is what I am looking for. The lighter the better I
feel. Based on this tinnies appear abuot 50% heavier again than an
equivalent ply boat.

The boat is intended to be powered by my dad's 5hp outboard.

N. Peter Evans

Dynamite is a friend but he would have me tell it how I see it so he
should not mind. Cartopper like any other crossover / catchall boat
has it's limitations. I have built a couple of them and been in them
too. See link:
http://smallboats.com/boats_cartopper.htm
The problem with cartopper is that it is really in my limited opinion
a one person boat and for sailing or oar, not for fishing. This boat
with its round sides and lots of rocker has very little "useable"
floor space. It is a great boat if you are sitting in the center,
beyond that she is real tender. After building one for a local we went
out for a spin with his 2 horse. We had to get in the middle of the
boat and move to the ends and stay put to keep this boat level in the
water. One person could not sit in the rear, you would need a tiller
extension and when the local went out by himself he put 150 pounds of
sand in the bow so he could sit at the stern, takes the sand out if
his wife wants to come along then with all the rocker it is like
sitting on the top ends of a balanced banana. This is probably not the
boat for your dad.

You may have to compromise, I still suggest Diablo, or maybe even
something, ugh, flat bottom like this boat, flat bottom boats although
wet and less seaworthy are great fishing and just general screwing off
platforms, especially for someone elderly who may start to lose
balance and agility much sooner than the desire to go boating:
http://rbbpix.com/builders_01.htm
http://smallboats.com/stanley_sie.htm
Stanley can be built at about 135 pounds and will do just fine with a
5 horse, or even a two. Anyway, it is a real stable platform with all
of the floor space being useable without upsetting the stability. A
couple of fishermen can lean over one edge and not swamp it too. I
don't sell the plans for this boat yet, but if you want to build one
get with me through the website contact page and I will give you some
drawings which should provide enough info to get you going, lines and
such, very straight up build, be happy to help you help your dad stay
on the water.
Scotty, sorry guys, it's building season, have no time for
spellcheckers today!
peterMelbourneAustralia

Thanks for your input.

couple of things,

1. What is exterior ply?

2. Dad, lives on south coast of NSW, Australia, which has the river,
many bays and a large bay exposedto the ocean. Thus choppy conditions
are quite common. As there are these choppy conditionsn I am opposed
to flat bottommed boats. However the smallboats.com site had a boat
called a herrring skiff. That is more like it, shallow V, 12ft long,
solid.

3. I also saw the dingy 12 from clarkcraft, guess all boats here are
getting the same.

4. Lastly I saw the dingy15 from boatplans.dk. This is a long narrow
boat with low freeboard, 15ft long, by 3'9" wide. Could a shorter,
slightly wider boat, with more freeboard be better (maybe 13'6 long,
4ft beam). What I mean is if the beam is narrow how much of an issue
is this, would it not be better in rougher seas than a wider flat
bottommed boat

N. Peter Evans