me

Default Hydrofoil fin question

Thought this group my might be my best bet for the right knowledge, so here
goes. I have a 16 foot Scout with a 60hp that I wanted to be able to plane
at a lower speed and get on plane sooner with the family on it. It seems
that one of these hydrofoil fins that attach to the outboard might help.
Are any are better than another? Also, if I'm alone in the boat going at
full throttle, will it push the front of the boat down too far? I've
noticed that even now when alone I have to tilt the motor quite a bit to get
the front up and even it out. Any opinions?

Thanks

JSE

A few questions first......
What are you normally putting in the front of the boat? The problem may
also be that the transmission housing is too short. how far below the boat
does the prop go when the motor is completely down? How are you keeping the
engine in the down position?

"me" wrote in message
. ..
Thought this group my might be my best bet for the right knowledge, so

here
goes. I have a 16 foot Scout with a 60hp that I wanted to be able to

plane
at a lower speed and get on plane sooner with the family on it. It seems
that one of these hydrofoil fins that attach to the outboard might help.
Are any are better than another? Also, if I'm alone in the boat going at
full throttle, will it push the front of the boat down too far? I've
noticed that even now when alone I have to tilt the motor quite a bit to

get
the front up and even it out. Any opinions?

Thanks

Bob La Londe

I added a Whale Tail to my 16' Waco w/ 50HP Force for a different reason. I
wanted to reduce porpoising. It worked, and I think I gained a little bit
of speed coming out of the hole. I also lost about 1.5 to 2 mph top end.

I have heard that the automatic trim tabs really work for a faster hole
shot, but they are also more expensive than a Whale Tail.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"me" wrote in message
. ..
Thought this group my might be my best bet for the right knowledge, so

here
goes. I have a 16 foot Scout with a 60hp that I wanted to be able to

plane
at a lower speed and get on plane sooner with the family on it. It seems
that one of these hydrofoil fins that attach to the outboard might help.
Are any are better than another? Also, if I'm alone in the boat going at
full throttle, will it push the front of the boat down too far? I've
noticed that even now when alone I have to tilt the motor quite a bit to

get
the front up and even it out. Any opinions?

Thanks

Bob La Londe

There was a guy over in the Carolina Skiff forum who just reviewed these.

http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffO...71079856209194

or

http://tinyurl.com/2zsk9

--

[...]