pt

Default advice for first time owner

hi. i can't afford to buy a boat yet, but a family friend is giving
away his boat. i'd love to get it and get sailing again. the hull is
epoxy over fiberglass and in good condition. but the wooden keel is
delaminating in the aft area and needs replacing in part.

how hard would it be to do this myself? how much would it cost?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
patricia.
JSE

Patricia,
It really deepends on just where the delamination starts and ends. If it's
in an open area, wood glue and clamps an do winders before you seal it.
Where is the boat located?
Joe

"pt" wrote in message
om...
hi. i can't afford to buy a boat yet, but a family friend is giving
away his boat. i'd love to get it and get sailing again. the hull is
epoxy over fiberglass and in good condition. but the wooden keel is
delaminating in the aft area and needs replacing in part.

how hard would it be to do this myself? how much would it cost?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
patricia.

William R. Watt

"JSE" ) writes:
Patricia,
It really deepends on just where the delamination starts and ends. If it's
in an open area, wood glue and clamps an do winders before you seal it.

I agree. Piece of cake. Maybe $5 for a small quantity of epoxy glue. If
you don't have clamps but have access to an electic drill just use through
bolts or sometimes screws will hold until the glut cures. Make a sandwich
out of scrap wood, plastic bags to keep the scrap wood from sticking to
the delaminated boat, and pull together until the glue dries. You can mix
the glue with, say 25% filler (talcum powder should be handy). I actually
use a tube of polyurethane glue in a calking gun and shoot it into the
delaminated plywood though holes I drill part way into the plywood. Leave
it to cure for a day, take apart the sandwich, sand, and and paint or
varnish. Let the paint of varnish cure three days before putting the
boat in the water. It will be better than the original plywood.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

William R. Watt ) writes:

... I actually
use a tube of polyurethane glue in a calking gun and shoot it into the

I should point out I would use epoxy if the boat stays in the water
because it's fully waterproof. My plywood boats are cartoppers which spend
most of their life on dry land where the wood doesn't soak up water.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
pt

hi. thanks for the quick advice -- all your optimism just made me very
happy!

the boats on land at a boston marina. i'm hoping i get to see it this
weekend.

i was told that part of the keel needed replacing which has me
worried... but if it's merely a task of gluing, and clamping till the
glue's set, i can definitely do that.

i don't even mind doing something a little more involved like laying
fiberglass tape etc... especially if that means i can get sailing.
that would be lovely.

updates as soon as i have one. BIG THANKS!

patricia.

"JSE" wrote in message ...
Patricia,
It really deepends on just where the delamination starts and ends. If it's
in an open area, wood glue and clamps an do winders before you seal it.
Where is the boat located?
Joe

"pt" wrote in message
om...
hi. i can't afford to buy a boat yet, but a family friend is giving
away his boat. i'd love to get it and get sailing again. the hull is
epoxy over fiberglass and in good condition. but the wooden keel is
delaminating in the aft area and needs replacing in part.

how hard would it be to do this myself? how much would it cost?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
patricia.

JSE

Patricia,
Just make sue you take your time looking at the boat. Don't get too exited
by an easy fix in an open area. True it's an easy fix, but like William
said.......make sure you seal it well. Several coats of clear poly sealant
will do the job. Just make sure you keep an eye on it.
HAPPY SAILING.
joe

om...

"JSE" wrote in message

Patricia,
It really deepends on just where the delamination starts and ends. If

it's
in an open area, wood glue and clamps an do winders before you seal it.
Where is the boat located?
Joe

om...