Robert Haston

Default Building a roost to keep birds off boat.

It always astounded me how much effort we spend trying to keep birds off our
boats, but I have never seen someone build a roost so they had somewhere
else to sit.

I figure an old mast and spreader would be ideal. I could build a literal
"crow's nest" on top for Ospreys to nest in.

Any experience?

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

dazed and confuzed

Robert Haston wrote:
It always astounded me how much effort we spend trying to keep birds off our
boats, but I have never seen someone build a roost so they had somewhere
else to sit.

I figure an old mast and spreader would be ideal. I could build a literal
"crow's nest" on top for Ospreys to nest in.

Any experience?

You'll just get more birds

--
A significant part of courage is realizing that only you need to know
how terrified you are..

Robert Haston

Great! I love the birds, I just don't like their poop on my boat.

Here's an idea: Instead of having to make sure the poop misses my dock, I
put a fiberglass tray under the roost with a drain. The drain hose runs
down the mast, and up onto my lawn. Instead of store bought lawn fertilizer
going into the canal, I'll be reducing the nitrogen load. Cleaner boat,
nest habitat, greener lawn, clearer canal.

____m___~Ώτ____m_____

Robert Haston wrote:

It always astounded me how much effort we spend trying to keep birds off
our boats, but I have never seen someone build a roost so they had
somewhere else to sit.

I figure an old mast and spreader would be ideal. I could build a literal
"crow's nest" on top for Ospreys to nest in.

Any experience?

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

Osprey nests around where I live are put up as you describe. They look like
a shipping pallet mounted on top of a light pole. Location is always so
Qsprey can view water the from perch. Here is an image of this type nest at
this link.

http://kabel.pp.ru/nature/20030717/Osprey-Nest.jpg
--
________m___~Ώτ____m______________________________ _____
William R. Watt

take down the bird feeder on your lawn?
there are books at the public library with lots of suggestions on how to
attract birds. Try reading them and doing the opposite.
they also have some suggestions for dicouraging birds like pigeons, eg
line your spreaders with spikes, lash a stuffed owl to the masthead.
you might also try putting out decoys some distance from your boat.

good luck

Robert Haston wrote:
It always astounded me how much effort we spend trying to keep birds off

our
boats, but I have never seen someone build a roost so they had somewhere
else to sit.

I figure an old mast and spreader would be ideal. I could build a

literal
"crow's nest" on top for Ospreys to nest in.

Any experience?

You'll just get more birds

--
A significant part of courage is realizing that only you need to know
how terrified you are..

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Old Nick

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:00:53 GMT, "Robert Haston"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
uncap my header address to reply via email

basic law of nature.....It is not nice. It takes what it can get.

Provide somewhere else to sit, and the neighbours will be sure it's a
good neighbourhood!

Provide the alternative, but electrify the rigging!

It always astounded me how much effort we spend trying to keep birds off our
boats, but I have never seen someone build a roost so they had somewhere
else to sit.

I figure an old mast and spreader would be ideal. I could build a literal
"crow's nest" on top for Ospreys to nest in.

Any experience?

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Thinking of building your first boat? Backyard Renegade Boat Building 0 January 26th 04 04:56 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM