posted to rec.boats.building
Jeff

Default Who built my new kayaks?

Just acquired 2 new ( to me) wood kayaks from someone who was giving
them away. I am trying to find out the builder and model. They are
v-bottom plywood, stitch and glue, very light. They are made of three
panels only, two for the hull and one for the deck. The deck is curved
ala chesapeake light craft, and fastened to a stringer but only with
glue, no nails. The bottom seam is glassed with a strip of glass inside
and out but no other glass on the hull. It is ~ 15 feet 10 inches, by ~
26 inches. with oval cockpits and a built-up ply coaming for a skirt.
Hulls are painted and decks clear with pad eyes fore and aft on the
deck. The former owner thought they were built in Canada. I would
assume they were professionally built. I am going to guess they are 10
+ years old, but i could be way off. The two panel hull yields a bottom
with a fair amount of deadrise and the bow is definitely more broad
than the stern (like a porpoise). I am guessing they are fast but tippy
(at least initially) but will have to wait until I get a few holes
patched up to find out.

Does this ring a bell with anyont familiar with Canadian kayak
builders? Would be happy to provide pictures if anyone has any ideas
what they are.

Jeff

posted to rec.boats.building
RLM

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:03:19 -0700, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...g=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...g=UTF8&s=books
posted to rec.boats.building
Jeff

Thanks for the reply. The hull resembles the low volume hull pictured
on the left of pg 14 of Kulczycki's first book (the first link above).
I own a lot of boat books but not that one although I have certainly
looked at it from time to time. I'll have to track it down and see if
he has plans for that boat pictured. I was thinking that all of CLC's
boats are hard chined but perhaps I should look through their catalog
more carefully to see if they have a plan for a boat like that.
Jeff

posted to rec.boats.building
Kevin Brooker

When I was reading your original post the description reminded me of a
CLC boat I built 15 years ago. The plans were published in Wooden Boat
and pread over two issues. The boat is pictured on the cover of the
book and is the right hand boat in the cover shot. This boat had no
hard chine and was essentially lens shaped at the cockpit. A friend
and I built a bunch of them since they were fast to build and cheap.
We ended up using 1/8" luan and could crank out a boat in two evenings
after the scarf joints set and each boat cost about $30. We never
glassed the hulls and just drown them in oil based deck paint. CLC
reccomends hand tools for the experiance of working w/ wood and we cut
every corner we could in order to go fast. We munst have built 10 of
the things so friends could come paddleing. We moslty went fishing
from the kayaks. The boat handled okay but was a bit uncomfortable
since the paddler sat on the slopped bottom. A seat made the cockpit a
bit tough to get in and out of. The initial stability was pretty poor
but the boat had great secondary. Because of this we made the last 6
boats with large open cockpits with seats and

coming since the shape and no chine allowed a ton of water to flow
over the deck. On 23 Apr 2006 21:03:52 -0700, "Jeff"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The hull resembles the low volume hull pictured
on the left of pg 14 of Kulczycki's first book (the first link above).
I own a lot of boat books but not that one although I have certainly
looked at it from time to time. I'll have to track it down and see if
he has plans for that boat pictured. I was thinking that all of CLC's
boats are hard chined but perhaps I should look through their catalog
more carefully to see if they have a plan for a boat like that.
Jeff

posted to rec.boats.building
Jeff

I'll search Wooden Boat to see if I can find those plans, or maybe I
can run over to the bookstore tonight and check the book. Thanks! The
boats I picked up have a solid ply bulkhead in the stern (no access to
what little space is there) and a foam bulkhead in the bow. I am only 6
feet with a 9 1/2 shoe and my feet won't fit on the adjustable foot
pegs (let out to the max). Might work with booties for me. They have
very thin carved foam sets setting on and homemade backbands of a
ensolite type foam glued to a more rigid plastic. I would guess they
are less than 30 pounds each. Light is good.

Good to know you could go fishing from them. I'll find a warm puddle to
try them in before I jump in the river with it. I never did get a good
roll and would win the Johnn Weismuller award for the most swims per
trip every time out when I was trying my hand at whitewater boating!
Jeff

posted to rec.boats.building
Jeff

Last entry. I believe Kevin was correct. It is an older model CLC boat
named 'Yare'. It was fairly popular, easy and cheap to build but
required tortured plywood. Low initial stability, good speed,
lightweight. I think I will throw some 4 oz glass on one hull with a
couple of holes in it and paint it up nice for my 12 year old.
Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
Patrick Crockett

Jeff wrote:
[...]

You could also e-mail John Harris at CLC. He's a friendly guy and if it
is an early CLC design, he would probably recognize it.
posted to rec.boats.building
Brian

I have plans for the Yare and the Severn. They are both tortured ply.

Both plans are scanned and saved as word documents and I would send them if
you email me directly.

Brian