posted to rec.boats.building
Kevin Brooker

Default Who built my new kayaks?

When I was reading your original post the description reminded me of a
CLC boat I built 15 years ago. The plans were published in Wooden Boat
and pread over two issues. The boat is pictured on the cover of the
book and is the right hand boat in the cover shot. This boat had no
hard chine and was essentially lens shaped at the cockpit. A friend
and I built a bunch of them since they were fast to build and cheap.
We ended up using 1/8" luan and could crank out a boat in two evenings
after the scarf joints set and each boat cost about $30. We never
glassed the hulls and just drown them in oil based deck paint. CLC
reccomends hand tools for the experiance of working w/ wood and we cut
every corner we could in order to go fast. We munst have built 10 of
the things so friends could come paddleing. We moslty went fishing
from the kayaks. The boat handled okay but was a bit uncomfortable
since the paddler sat on the slopped bottom. A seat made the cockpit a
bit tough to get in and out of. The initial stability was pretty poor
but the boat had great secondary. Because of this we made the last 6
boats with large open cockpits with seats and

coming since the shape and no chine allowed a ton of water to flow
over the deck. On 23 Apr 2006 21:03:52 -0700, "Jeff"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The hull resembles the low volume hull pictured
on the left of pg 14 of Kulczycki's first book (the first link above).
I own a lot of boat books but not that one although I have certainly
looked at it from time to time. I'll have to track it down and see if
he has plans for that boat pictured. I was thinking that all of CLC's
boats are hard chined but perhaps I should look through their catalog
more carefully to see if they have a plan for a boat like that.
Jeff