Tom

Default What topcoat paint for wooden oars?

What's a thick tough 1 or 2 part paint for wooden oars - have 2 sets
of avon 2 piece oars and 1 set hard dingy oars that I don't want to
have to repaint ever again.

I stripped them to bare wood, coated with West epoxy and have sprayed
on 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer - what's the last coat - I have some
Sterling 2 part LP I could use but oars tend to live in the wet
bottoms of dinks and LP doesn't like to be immersed in water. Besides
it's not abrasion resistant - oars get used for testing bottom depths,
pushing off rocks, etc Needs to be UV proof, abrasion & water proof.

How about a good quality exterior latex semigloss - would that stand
up to the torture?

Rick Itenson

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:19:38 -0700, Tom wrote:

What's a thick tough 1 or 2 part paint for wooden oars - have 2 sets
of avon 2 piece oars and 1 set hard dingy oars that I don't want to
have to repaint ever again.

I stripped them to bare wood, coated with West epoxy and have sprayed
on 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer - what's the last coat - I have some
Sterling 2 part LP I could use but oars tend to live in the wet
bottoms of dinks and LP doesn't like to be immersed in water. Besides
it's not abrasion resistant - oars get used for testing bottom depths,
pushing off rocks, etc Needs to be UV proof, abrasion & water proof.

How about a good quality exterior latex semigloss - would that stand
up to the torture?

Walmart porch paint - $15 a gal.
Rick Itenson
La Belle Aurore
Toronto
Jim Conlin

If you don't want to re-paint, don't use the oars. Any paint that I know
will not be completely proof to the scuffs and bangs that oars get. No
matter what you do, they'll get scuffed up. So, i varnish my oars annually
until they get too bad, then it's ordinary alkyd enamel.

Tom wrote:

What's a thick tough 1 or 2 part paint for wooden oars - have 2 sets
of avon 2 piece oars and 1 set hard dingy oars that I don't want to
have to repaint ever again.

I stripped them to bare wood, coated with West epoxy and have sprayed
on 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer - what's the last coat - I have some
Sterling 2 part LP I could use but oars tend to live in the wet
bottoms of dinks and LP doesn't like to be immersed in water. Besides
it's not abrasion resistant - oars get used for testing bottom depths,
pushing off rocks, etc Needs to be UV proof, abrasion & water proof.

How about a good quality exterior latex semigloss - would that stand
up to the torture?

William R. Watt

since you've already given them three coats of epoxy resin why not add a
couple more tinted coats. no paint will hold up like tinted resin. I'd
have put on one clear coat and two tinted coats with extra coats at points
of wear. as for pushing off I put fibreglass imregnated resin on the end
of my paddle which gets the same sort of abuse. again, add colour to the
resin and forget painting, IMHO.

Tom ) writes:
What's a thick tough 1 or 2 part paint for wooden oars - have 2 sets
of avon 2 piece oars and 1 set hard dingy oars that I don't want to
have to repaint ever again.

I stripped them to bare wood, coated with West epoxy and have sprayed
on 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer - what's the last coat - I have some
Sterling 2 part LP I could use but oars tend to live in the wet
bottoms of dinks and LP doesn't like to be immersed in water. Besides
it's not abrasion resistant - oars get used for testing bottom depths,
pushing off rocks, etc Needs to be UV proof, abrasion & water proof.

How about a good quality exterior latex semigloss - would that stand
up to the torture?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Whatcott

Quite - when I was a kid, I was disappointed because the store -bought
paddles for the home-built kayak did not have a copper end sheath on
the blades. They had a glass wrap. But this is an exceptionally
helpful way of keeping water out of the end grain, and improving wear
resistance. I can commend the approach for oars - the boot need only
stretch 3/4 inch from the end. Then it was polyester resin - now,
epoxy bonded fine cloth or tape would be the cat's whiskers.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Deck Paint Barbara Lene General 5 February 27th 04 04:26 PM
antifouling paint help Jeff Zimmerman General 7 January 27th 04 01:50 PM
Anyone know anything about Armorpoxy one part epoxy paint? CaptSchark General 1 October 15th 03 12:18 PM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM