William R. Watt

Default What topcoat paint for wooden oars?

since you've already given them three coats of epoxy resin why not add a
couple more tinted coats. no paint will hold up like tinted resin. I'd
have put on one clear coat and two tinted coats with extra coats at points
of wear. as for pushing off I put fibreglass imregnated resin on the end
of my paddle which gets the same sort of abuse. again, add colour to the
resin and forget painting, IMHO.

Tom ) writes:
What's a thick tough 1 or 2 part paint for wooden oars - have 2 sets
of avon 2 piece oars and 1 set hard dingy oars that I don't want to
have to repaint ever again.

I stripped them to bare wood, coated with West epoxy and have sprayed
on 2 coats of 2 part epoxy primer - what's the last coat - I have some
Sterling 2 part LP I could use but oars tend to live in the wet
bottoms of dinks and LP doesn't like to be immersed in water. Besides
it's not abrasion resistant - oars get used for testing bottom depths,
pushing off rocks, etc Needs to be UV proof, abrasion & water proof.

How about a good quality exterior latex semigloss - would that stand
up to the torture?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm