Punchy99

Default Info On Unique UK Sail Design. Anyone, Please

Hello,

A few years ago I saw a brief thing on TV about a guy in the UK who
built a very cool sail for his catamaran or trimaman --can't remember
which one. It looked like a 15/20ft. tall cylinder where the mast
would normally be. You steered the thing pretty much like a car.

Does anyone know anything about this or the person who invented and
built it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Drew Dalgleish

Jaques Cousteu had a boat like that in the late 80s. The wind somehow
spun the cylinder which turned a propellor. The boat was able to sail
directly into the wind but didn't perform as well as sail on other
points.

Hello,

A few years ago I saw a brief thing on TV about a guy in the UK who
built a very cool sail for his catamaran or trimaman --can't remember
which one. It looked like a 15/20ft. tall cylinder where the mast
would normally be. You steered the thing pretty much like a car.

Does anyone know anything about this or the person who invented and
built it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.C.

Hi

"Drew Dalgleish" skrev i en meddelelse
Jaques Cousteu had a boat like that in the late 80s. The wind somehow
spun the cylinder which turned a propellor. The boat was able to sail
directly into the wind but didn't perform as well as sail on other
points.

Now these sails work without any propellor. By rotating the cylinder a more
dense vaccum on one side of the cylinder is created , ------ quite a few
know about these types of "sails" and the first ones was tested out just
after W.W.1 and acturly when well constructed they are as good as
tradisional sails, but the weight of the cylinder and different other issues
concerning strength made it into an idear reinvented each 20 year.
They work, but it is a common misunderstanding, that the rotating cylinder
need drive a propellor ------ this is not the force that work with a
rotating cylinder sail.
P.C.

Karin Conover-Lewis

Dunno that it's what the poster was asking about. The Walker Wingsail is
pretty much a vertical airplane wing with an "elevator" trailing it on a
boom. I don't think anyone would describe it as a "cylinder." I seem to
recall a cylindrical turbine being used experimentally, driving a propeller.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Jeff" wrote in message
(Punchy99) wrote in

@posting.google.com:

Hello,

A few years ago I saw a brief thing on TV about a guy in the UK who
built a very cool sail for his catamaran or trimaman --can't remember
which one. It looked like a 15/20ft. tall cylinder where the mast
would normally be. You steered the thing pretty much like a car.

Does anyone know anything about this or the person who invented and
built it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Walker WingSail, loads of stuff on google.

Jeff

"Karin Conover-Lewis" wrote in
:

Dunno that it's what the poster was asking about. The Walker Wingsail
is pretty much a vertical airplane wing with an "elevator" trailing it
on a boom. I don't think anyone would describe it as a "cylinder." I
seem to recall a cylindrical turbine being used experimentally,
driving a propeller.

True, Walker made several versions however, some earlier versions looked
cylindrical with a trim tab. A Wingsail equiped tri was a feature of
several UK TV programs during the eighties in which they emphasised the low
height of the rig and the fact that it was 'driven' like a car, wheel and a
foot pedal for power., even to the extent of sialing backward and forward
to 'parallel park' against a dock. Shame it didn't take off.
Jacques

It is a Walker rig. I sailed on that boat 10 years ago in Miami. Nice
concept and it works but not exactly designed along the lines of the
KISS principle . . .
Do a search with Walker Wingsail Systems or Planesail Yachts.

Old Nick

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:07:55 GMT, Jeff vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

True, Walker made several versions however, some earlier versions looked
cylindrical with a trim tab. A Wingsail equiped tri was a feature of
several UK TV programs during the eighties in which they emphasised the low
height of the rig and the fact that it was 'driven' like a car, wheel and a
foot pedal for power., even to the extent of sialing backward and forward
to 'parallel park' against a dock. Shame it didn't take off.

Was this on a cat? If so Bah! _Anyone_ can sail a cat backwards! G
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.