posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

I recollect the generic term "kellet" and that there was a commercial
product called "Rode Rider".

"derbyrm" wrote in message
"DSK" wrote in message
True. That doesn't mean you need to carry it right at the bow.

derbyrm wrote:
But that's where the self draining storage compartment is
shown by the designer.

That's a good feature. I didn't think much of anchor wells until we

owned
a boat that had one. Bolger's designs have the added benefit of being

able
to get the weight down lower. Still want to minimize weight up front.

The boat's not a one-design racer but it's small enough to suffer if you
were to carry too much weight up there.

Misunderstanding here! I gave up the idea of an all chain rode when I
gave up on my version of Badger. The short heavy length is what I'm
thinking of. Or a keggle.

Don't know what a keggle is.

I've been having trouble finding the correct spelling for the gadget.

What
I'm referring to is a weight which slides down the rode, part way, to
emulate the catenary you'd get with the chain. It has its own light line
for recovery and positioning.

We do a lot of anchoring in shallow muddy places. The set-up we use for
our "working" anchor is a shorter (40') length of heavier chain. Bought
from a farm-supply store at approx 1/2 marine prices (yes it is HT hot
galvanized, same stuff).

I imagine that most of my anchoring will be along the shores of
the Ohio River, and there's some pretty nasty jetsum, up to and
including houses and sunken barges, in those parts.

You'll probably want a trip line. We rarely use one. Our plan is to do

an
eastern loop (or Great Loop or circumnavigate West Virginia) via the

ICW,
Hudson, Erie Canal, Great Lakes, Mississippi River, down & around
Florida... up the Ohio for at least a short stretch, so we'll see what
it's like too.

That "Great Loop" excursion has been a dream of mine for many years,
starting back when I lived in Schenectady, NY. I don't think the

Chebacco's
living accomodations are up to it. It would work better with one of
Bolger's long, skinny motor boats.

I found it interesting that from Cleveland to Chicago is over 1000 miles

by
water.

That's an idea I really like! I keep forgetting that I'll have all

that
storage under the cockpit seats. Once it's rinsed off, it can go by

the
battery bank (with proper insulation/protection/baffles).

Can you put in a self-draining shelf to put it on? The darn things are
almost always dirty & damp.

Good idea, but it will have to wait until I turn the hull over.

Here's my current project
http://community.webshots.com/album/82561569ZSrzNA

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
DSK

Jim Conlin wrote:
I recollect the generic term "kellet" and that there was a commercial
product called "Rode Rider".

Isn't "killock" also used for that? Nautical terminolgy
isn't a high precision science.

In the Hornblower books, occasionally they use a cannon
barrel as a kellet, for better holding & security. Kind of
drastic but then Hornblower *never* dragged anchor!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

That's the word!

Roger (a brain is a terrible thing to lose)

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Jim Conlin" wrote

"DSK" wrote in message
True. That doesn't mean you need to carry it right at the bow.

derbyrm wrote:

snip
Misunderstanding here! I gave up the idea of an all chain rode when
gave up on my version of Badger. The short heavy length is what I'm
thinking of. Or a keggle.

Don't know what a keggle is.

I've been having trouble finding the correct spelling for the gadget.

What I'm referring to is a weight which slides down the rode, part way,
to emulate the catenary you'd get with the chain. It has its own light
line
for recovery and positioning.

snip

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Killock \Kil"lock\, n. [Cf. Scot. killick ``the flue [fluke] of
an anchor.'' --Jamieson.]
A small anchor; also, a kind of anchor formed by a stone
inclosed by pieces of wood fastened together. [Written also

Jim Conlin wrote:

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Killock \Kil"lock\, n. [Cf. Scot. killick ``the flue [fluke] of
an anchor.'' --Jamieson.]
A small anchor; also, a kind of anchor formed by a stone
inclosed by pieces of wood fastened together. [Written also
killick.]

Got it.

The nice thing about the "kind of anchor formed by a stone
inclosed by pieces of wood fastened together" (gee I haven't
seen one of those in years & years) is that it's totally
corrosion free.

DSK

posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne.B

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:57:51 GMT, "derbyrm"
wrote:

Mr. Fox seems to disagree with Phillip C. Bolger. In "Thirty Odd Boats"
PCB, commenting on Herreshoff's Rosinante suggests that "half the weight in
that 3000 lb. keel is to give the boat momentum."

The keel is the only part of a sailboat that benefits from weight, and
even there it should be limited to just what is necessary.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Boating Jeapordy JimH General 76 January 10th 06 03:02 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
stupid question IAN MARTIN General 7 November 1st 05 12:42 AM