posted to rec.boats.building
Martin Schöön

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:20:23 +0000, derbyrm wrote:

Because you'll have to add more lead below the waterline to keep the weedy
side of the boat down?

In theory maybe and only for a lead-swinger. But if you play around
a little with numbers I bet you will find the rudder must be a monster
to make a useful contribution to righting moment.

Because it will tend to lift off the pintles which have to take the weight
when the boats hauled? (reversing loads are worse than unidirectional
loads)

Again, a monster of a rudder, in terms of volume this time, is
needed make this a *real* problem.

Why would you want to make it lighter?

Because it is possible.
Because less weight in the ends means less pitching.
Because lighter is faster.
Because it is a hobby of mine to tinker with my boat.
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/

In real life it probably doesn't matter much, but then that's the basis for
any heated discussion.

:-)

/Martin