posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

Because you'll have to add more lead below the waterline to keep the weedy
side of the boat down?

Because it will tend to lift off the pintles which have to take the weight
when the boats hauled? (reversing loads are worse than unidirectional
loads)

Why would you want to make it lighter?

In real life it probably doesn't matter much, but then that's the basis for
any heated discussion.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Martin Schöön" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 01:17:53 +0000, derbyrm wrote:

Since no one else is jumping in, I'll offer my opinion.

The rudder should not float.

Why not?
My rudder do definitely float and have worked just fine for
19 seasons. If I had the time I would make new pair out of
carbon - even lighter.

/Martin