Marc Camfferman

Default bending wood

How can i bent wood on a simple way.

example: I want to bent mahony 1 inch by 1 inch and 30 inch long pretty
far.

Any ideas

William R. Watt

1. place wood in a length of pipe
2. stuff a rag in one end
3. feed steam from a kettle into the other end (hose normaly used here)
4. steam until soft

sorry, I don't have the length of time for steaming 1x1 mahogony.
you could try a search of www.google.com under "steam bending" but someone
who knows will probably post the information here.

"Marc Camfferman" ) writes:
How can i bent wood on a simple way.

example: I want to bent mahony 1 inch by 1 inch and 30 inch long pretty
far.

Any ideas

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Google news for the steam bending FAQ. That is going to be the best
way. Alternately you could rip it to 1/4" and laminate it to shape.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

steveb

Glenn Ashmore lifted the trapdoor, peered around and
wrote:

Alternately you could rip it to 1/4" and laminate it to shape.

That is how the tight curves on pianos are formed ...
Rick Tyler

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:05:05 +0200, "Marc Camfferman"
wrote:

How can i bent wood on a simple way.

example: I want to bent mahony 1 inch by 1 inch and 30 inch long pretty
far.

Water is your friend. You can steam it or soak it. Others have
described steaming. If you only ever want to bend a piece or two, you
can just soak it for a week or so. A friend and I did this with
Douglas fir for the rubstrips on his drift boat. We glued a couple of
4" diameter PVC pipes end-to-end with a coupler, and put a cap on the
end. This gave us a 20-foot long pipe. We slid the sticks in, filled
it with water, and loosely capped the end. A week later, they wrapped
around the gunwales of the drift boat with ease. He let them dry for
a while and then took them off, applied epoxy, and clamped them back
on.

The bad part about water soaking is that it takes a long time. The
good part is that it is very well suited to small projects. No
hunting down a heat source, steam container, hosing, and all that
stuff.

If I had a lot of bending to do, or I was in a hurry, there would be
no contest: I would use steam.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Brian Nystrom

Default bending wood - mahogany's tough

Marc Camfferman wrote:
How can i bent wood on a simple way.

example: I want to bent mahony 1 inch by 1 inch and 30 inch long pretty
far.

Any ideas

I've tried steam bending mahogany and even at 3/8" x 1" with good grain
orientation, it doesn't bend well. I doubt that you'll be able to bend
your thicker stock to any significant degree. A better approach would be
to cut 1/8" or thinner strips and laminate them into the shape you want.

You could possibly try ammonia bending, but I have no idea if it will
work with mahogany.

P.C.

Hi

"Brian Nystrom" skrev i en meddelelse
I've tried steam bending mahogany and even at 3/8" x 1" with good grain
orientation, it doesn't bend well. I doubt that you'll be able to bend
your thicker stock to any significant degree. A better approach would be
to cut 1/8" or thinner strips and laminate them into the shape you want.

You could possibly try ammonia bending, but I have no idea if it will
work with mahogany.

Steaming wood the rule is that you can only boil an egg once.
Steam dried mahogony or any other steam dried wood is hard to bend, as some
substance within the grains are sort of hardened by the steaming.
Othervise mahogony acturly only need 3/4 the time steaming of Oak.
Want to steam bend wood, you need "green" wood , not steam dried.
P.C.

John

http://www.bluemud.org/article/18152 found via google