jsheesley

Default Laying carpet overhead

My friend has a 1979 34' Silverton that he wants to replace the carpet
in. All the walls are carpeted and a lot of the ceiling as well. We
are thinking contact adhesive. Let it tack up and stick it to the
ceiling and hopefully it stays. We would be thankful for any ideas.
Jim

I did exactly the same thing 10 years ago. I used an adhesive that was
recommended by the carpet store, kind of thick, applied with a notched
trowel.

Messy, but worked great. Still looks good today.
Jim

jsheesley wrote:
My friend has a 1979 34' Silverton that he wants to replace the carpet
in. All the walls are carpeted and a lot of the ceiling as well. We
are thinking contact adhesive. Let it tack up and stick it to the
ceiling and hopefully it stays. We would be thankful for any ideas.

Keith

A couple of automotive ideas come to mind. Either yellow weatherstrip
adhesive (the yellow peril!) or spray on headliner adhesive.

--

Keith
__
"jsheesley" wrote in message
om...
My friend has a 1979 34' Silverton that he wants to replace the carpet
in. All the walls are carpeted and a lot of the ceiling as well. We
are thinking contact adhesive. Let it tack up and stick it to the
ceiling and hopefully it stays. We would be thankful for any ideas.

Sam

(jsheesley) wrote in message . com...
My friend has a 1979 34' Silverton that he wants to replace the carpet
in. All the walls are carpeted and a lot of the ceiling as well. We
are thinking contact adhesive. Let it tack up and stick it to the
ceiling and hopefully it stays. We would be thankful for any ideas.

If you start that project you might find you wish you never had.In
that event you might try what I did a few months ago.The boat had sunk
so everything was disgustingly moldy.The owner managed to rip all the
old carpet off and then gave up.My first move was to pressuse wash the
whole interior,while doing that I began to wonder if that was all the
guy had to do in the first place.Since the carpet was already gone,in
my case it was a moot question, in your case you should seriously
consider it.I think they install the stuff originally before they
assemble the boat so they are working "downward" and not trying to
stick the stuff overhead. Another thing to think about is that all the
deck fittings,sail handling tracks,winches,hatch slides and
hinges,ventilators,windows,doo-dads,gimracks and gee-haws are attached
after the carpetting so you have to undo(good luck) and re-bed
everything as you can't recarpet over the exposed nuts and bolts. My
guy had just ripped the stuff off in a fit so what remained was tuffs
of carpet under all the nuts and fasteners and the whole surface more
or less coated with dingle-berried contact cement.He wondered about
painting instead of recarpetting. The concensus around the marina was
that all the cement had to be removed and the exposed woven roven
filled and sanded smooth, the results painted with a two part
urethane.To work overhead with whatever chemical it would take to
dissolve old contact cement,fill and sand old fiberglass and apply two
part urethane in a close, awkward, confined space....What I ended up
doing was pressure wash it and then roll on a coat of latex porch and
floor enamel.That solidified all the stuff that was still loosely
attached,carpet fur,cement etc. A fairly thourough sanding with 60 or
80 grit followed which removed the loose stuff and smoothed the
fiberglass splinters.After 1 more coat of paint the interior was nice
and bright(the old carpet was grey)with a smooth texture that was
easily washable.
If you decide to go ahead with your project you might want to have
some other boat lined up to use this summer.