Mike Brannon

Default Designing Skeg/Rudder Flat bottomed boat

Greetings group,
I am looking for books or online references for sizing and design of skegs
for low speed flat bottomed(dory) boats. Does anyone have any formulas or
rules of thumb for this kind of design work? My intentions are to power a
24'-10" dory with 10-15 hp via a motor well located in the aft third of the
hull. I am considering something full length tapering forward. John Gardner
recommends skegs on his dories when powered but leaves the reader with no
clues to dimensioning. I hope this stimulates some interesting responses.
Thanks to all, it's a great group to watch and read.

best regards, Mike
Gardner power dory in progress.

Backyard Renegade

"Mike Brannon" wrote in message news:bTAac.67737$1I5.59285@fed1read01...
Greetings group,
I am looking for books or online references for sizing and design of skegs
for low speed flat bottomed(dory) boats. Does anyone have any formulas or
rules of thumb for this kind of design work? My intentions are to power a
24'-10" dory with 10-15 hp via a motor well located in the aft third of the
hull. I am considering something full length tapering forward. John Gardner
recommends skegs on his dories when powered but leaves the reader with no
clues to dimensioning. I hope this stimulates some interesting responses.
Thanks to all, it's a great group to watch and read.

best regards, Mike
Gardner power dory in progress.

You want the skeg to be forward of the thrust point only or you will
have trouble turning. Dual skegs work nice for beaching, and not being
a planing boat, you have some liberties I would think. I would take a
couple 16 foot 2x6's and taper them 5 inches high at one end, and say
1 1/2 inches at the other, and fasten them (I don't know how wide your
boat is) say spaced 24-30 inches apart, splitting the bottom into
three areas.. Like I said, being this boat is not built for speed, you
have some leeway here.
On smaller skiffs and prams, I make the skeg say 1" from the bow to
about midway, following the curve of the bottom, then sitting the boat
level, more or less continue a line horisontal to the stern and make
my skeg follow that line.
Scotty
William R. Watt

on the boat designs I recall seeing, all sizes, the skeg is an extension
of the lowest point on the keel, no lower. the skeg is intented to make up
for the loss of tracking due to any deadrise aft, or to provide a lower
pivot point and extra steerign power for a rudder, or to provide
protection from grounding for a propellor and shaft.

I assume you are contemplating something like the St Pierre fishing dory
in Gardener's "Dory Book". I don't recall seeing a plan or a photo of the
underside of that dory in the book.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm