William R. Watt

Default Designing Skeg/Rudder Flat bottomed boat

on the boat designs I recall seeing, all sizes, the skeg is an extension
of the lowest point on the keel, no lower. the skeg is intented to make up
for the loss of tracking due to any deadrise aft, or to provide a lower
pivot point and extra steerign power for a rudder, or to provide
protection from grounding for a propellor and shaft.

I assume you are contemplating something like the St Pierre fishing dory
in Gardener's "Dory Book". I don't recall seeing a plan or a photo of the
underside of that dory in the book.

"Mike Brannon" ) writes:
Greetings group,
I am looking for books or online references for sizing and design of skegs
for low speed flat bottomed(dory) boats. Does anyone have any formulas or
rules of thumb for this kind of design work? My intentions are to power a
24'-10" dory with 10-15 hp via a motor well located in the aft third of the
hull. I am considering something full length tapering forward. John Gardner
recommends skegs on his dories when powered but leaves the reader with no
clues to dimensioning. I hope this stimulates some interesting responses.
Thanks to all, it's a great group to watch and read.

best regards, Mike
Gardner power dory in progress.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm